Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,883 Members 41,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone working on privacy or security oriented roms?

Tip us?
 
darwinwasright
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Anyone working on privacy or security oriented roms?

Hello
i am just on a fishing expedition here so please bear with me. I am interested in a rom that is geared towards privacy or security based on android. With all of the id theft and government hanky panky i have started researching this subject but the only thing definitive i have found is the "blackphone". I would prefer something a little less proprietary and more open source.
If you know of a project or can suggest any apps that could aid in my quest (privacy, encryption, etc) please let me know.
Thanks
 
Solarenemy68
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 684
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinwasright View Post
Hello
i am just on a fishing expedition here so please bear with me. I am interested in a rom that is geared towards privacy or security based on android. With all of the id theft and government hanky panky i have started researching this subject but the only thing definitive i have found is the "blackphone". I would prefer something a little less proprietary and more open source.
If you know of a project or can suggest any apps that could aid in my quest (privacy, encryption, etc) please let me know.
Thanks
If it is open source then it is open door... Simple as that. There is no secure ROM, for any Android based phone.
 
darwinwasright
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default open source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarenemy68 View Post
If it is open source then it is open door... Simple as that. There is no secure ROM, for any Android based phone.
My understanding of the title "open source" is that the source code is open or available freely for developers to download and work with to fit their needs. This is in contrast to M....soft and A.... who hide their source code in a deep dark cave somewhere. Linux is a perfect example of this. There are several different variations of Linux that are modified for privacy and security as well as other purposes. It is well known that Linux is much more secure than standard out of the box OS's and this is directly attributable to the community effort for development and policing of the operating system........thanks to open source.
 
Solarenemy68
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 684
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinwasright View Post
My understanding of the title "open source" is that the source code is open or available freely for developers to download and work with to fit their needs. This is in contrast to M....soft and A.... who hide their source code in a deep dark cave somewhere. Linux is a perfect example of this. There are several different variations of Linux that are modified for privacy and security as well as other purposes. It is well known that Linux is much more secure than standard out of the box OS's and this is directly attributable to the community effort for development and policing of the operating system........thanks to open source.
The reason Linux is so secure in regards to virus and exploits is because so few people use it is not a target for the groups that create the virus and exploits.

What I meant by open door equals open source is simply that. As long as the source files are open source that can be reverse engineered by anyone and exploited. There was a news article about France and some other countries creating their own private internet to keep the US from spying on them. That is all good except they have not put human into the equation. As long as humans are involved in the programming and creation of secure systems, there will always be a backdoor or exploit. It is very easy to buy s person and have them give access to a secure system.

There is no such thing as a secure system. Hardened maybe, but never secure. The very nature and function of these phones make them insecure. If you want true security then a smart phone is not your best option. Especially not one like the ONE or others that are so heavily integrated in to social media.
 
darwinwasright
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Getting back on point.

I did not start this thread as a debate. I am looking for responses that address the issue posted as it is posted.If you feel like you can contribute something to the quest I am on feel free to .
Thanks
 
TopoX84
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 116
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
As forum rules state... the Roms here can only be open source else they will be deleted.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 62.0 by Mike1986
MODS: Sense 5 Toolbox, Gravity Box [KK],
RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

PREVIOUS DEVICES:
  • Galaxy S4 I337 AT&T unlocked
  • Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked - Dev AT&T ROM
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Twik Keeps Your Accounts Secure with Randomly Generated Passwords

If youre one of thosewho find it just an impossible task to keep trackof … more

Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more

Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more