FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi I want to buy a Samsung Note 8.0 for which model should I buy. I live in U.S. I know the LTE version here in US don't have phone capabilities. Can I install a custom rom for the one in US, if there is one, can someone point me to a thread. Please help, Thank you
3rd March 2014, 10:46 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman70

Hi I want to buy a Samsung Note 8.0 for which model should I buy. I live in U.S. I know the LTE version here in US don't have phone capabilities. Can I install a custom rom for the one in US, if there is one, can someone point me to a thread. Please help, Thank you

Though I don't live in US, I don't think you could add phone feature by changing the rom.
3rd March 2014, 11:20 PM |#3  
cheryanne's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 56
 
More
I think you would have to have the international version that permits calls. I'm not sure if that will work in the states though because of frequencies etc.

Galaxy Note 8.0 Xposed Build N5120XXCMH2 / Baseband N5120XXBMD9 / Kernel CivZ-SphereXtreme-REV on Telstra LTE
4th March 2014, 03:28 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
If you're looking at the AT&T branded Note 8, SGH-i467, there's a thread in this forum on getting the phone capability enabled. I don't think anyone has been totally successful doing that:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2430527

If VoIP will sufficiently meet your calling needs, you'll be fine with that model. If you don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies associated with VoIP, get the international version, GT-N5100. The LTE frequencies won't work on AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks so you'll be at HSPA+ speeds, but it is a true 8" smartphone.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app
10th March 2014, 06:58 PM |#5  
ghostswagking's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by afblangley

If you're looking at the AT&T branded Note 8, SGH-i467, there's a thread in this forum on getting the phone capability enabled. I don't think anyone has been totally successful doing that:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2430527

If VoIP will sufficiently meet your calling needs, you'll be fine with that model. If you don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies associated with VoIP, get the international version, GT-N5100. The LTE frequencies won't work on AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks so you'll be at HSPA+ speeds, but it is a true 8" smartphone.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app

I bought one from amazon and it had calling capability. Should be the same for all of them.
14th March 2014, 05:30 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
The are different variants of the Note 8. Some have phone capability and some do not. The most common variant sold in the US (in Best Buy and big box stores) is WiFi only. The model sold in AT&T stores has LTE, but the phone functionality has been removed. The N5100, available thro some Amazon vendors, its a true smartphone, but only works on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app
15th March 2014, 11:21 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by afblangley

The are different variants of the Note 8. Some have phone capability and some do not. The most common variant sold in the US (in Best Buy and big box stores) is WiFi only. The model sold in AT&T stores has LTE, but the phone functionality has been removed. The N5100, available thro some Amazon vendors, its a true smartphone, but only works on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app


I use a note 8 LTE as my phone here in UK and am absolutly loving it....had to change from 3 mobile to O2 as 3 dont allow phone sims in tablets, seems O2 do cos its been working fine for about 3-4 weeks.

Rather than look foolish with a tablet next to my ear I purchased a galaxy gear which is not fully working as I am on stock 4.2.

Got rid of my note 2 and note 10.1 and have just a note 8, best thing I ever did!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes