Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,990 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black screen

Tip us?

thebguard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Black screen

Hi,

I am using the FatToad custom rom. Whenever I turn on my phone via power button the screen stays black. It doesn't look like the backlight is on. However, the menu button and back button light up. I tried using the volume rockers and home button to power on the screen but it's the same.

The screen does turn on after a couple tries. I have to press power button on (lights turn on), turn off, then back on. The number of tries varies. If I turn it off and back on immediately- then it comes back right away. Whenever I am done with a call, the screen stays off and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. I tried setting the phone to turn the screen on when plugging in charger cable but screen doesn't turn on right away. The auto-brightness seems to be working properly.

I didn't have this issue running the stock relay 4g rom. I have also tried the CarbonMod rom and OmniToad roms to see if it helped but would rather not have to go back to stock unless I need to.
I can live it with it but if anyone has a resolution it would be super awesome. Hopefully it's something simple that I messed up and not the phone itself!

Thanks,
-Alan

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,790

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebguard View Post
Hi,

I am using the FatToad custom rom. Whenever I turn on my phone via power button the screen stays black. It doesn't look like the backlight is on. However, the menu button and back button light up. I tried using the volume rockers and home button to power on the screen but it's the same.

The screen does turn on after a couple tries. I have to press power button on (lights turn on), turn off, then back on. The number of tries varies. If I turn it off and back on immediately- then it comes back right away. Whenever I am done with a call, the screen stays off and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. I tried setting the phone to turn the screen on when plugging in charger cable but screen doesn't turn on right away. The auto-brightness seems to be working properly.

I didn't have this issue running the stock relay 4g rom. I have also tried the CarbonMod rom and OmniToad roms to see if it helped but would rather not have to go back to stock unless I need to.
I can live it with it but if anyone has a resolution it would be super awesome. Hopefully it's something simple that I messed up and not the phone itself!

Thanks,
-Alan
are you having this issue on all above mentioned roms....i have seen this issue before on other devices and is a deep sleep issue...i know the only rom you may be able to fix this on is my CarbonRom and done so by changing min frequency up a notch...if that doesnt work go down a notch....all other roms besides carbon have this feature force locked as far as i know so you cant do it on those roms
☢ LG G2 ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: NewBeta Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated

thebguard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
are you having this issue on all above mentioned roms....i have seen this issue before on other devices and is a deep sleep issue...i know the only rom you may be able to fix this on is my CarbonRom and done so by changing min frequency up a notch...if that doesnt work go down a notch....all other roms besides carbon have this feature force locked as far as i know so you cant do it on those roms
I see. I will retry CarbonRom and up the min cpu and see if this issue goes away. Appreciate your feedback sir!

orange808
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
I've got "FatToad" (nice rom, bad name) and the Trickster Mod app provides plenty of tuning options. Since the trouble manifests itself when the screen is off, I would look at mpdecision before I went raising the min frequency. Then again, I don't have many issues with getting my device to wake...

Anyhow, the app has options to tweak.
while(devo){
feed;
breed;
pump gas;
cheeseburger;
}
*/ Do it again!
The Following User Says Thank You to orange808 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,790

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange808 View Post
I've got "FatToad" (nice rom, bad name) and the Trickster Mod app provides plenty of tuning options. Since the trouble manifests itself when the screen is off, I would look at mpdecision before I went raising the min frequency. Then again, I don't have many issues with getting my device to wake...

Anyhow, the app has options to tweak.
my Carbon rom is built differently than fattoad, cm, or omni...doesnt have lbcoders mpdecision touchboost amongst many other differences in its kernel

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
I see. I will retry CarbonRom and up the min cpu and see if this issue goes away. Appreciate your feedback sir!
if its at 192mhz go to 384mhz....if at 384mhz try 192mhz...if either dont work bump it up to the next highest mhz
☢ LG G2 ☢
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thebguard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't think changing the min cpu helped. Went up from 384 to 486. Then tried 594.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,790

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I don't think changing the min cpu helped. Went up from 384 to 486. Then tried 594.
did you go to the lowest...also whats your method of flashing.....dirty flash? clean wipe?
☢ LG G2 ☢
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
☢ HTC ReZound ☢

The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thebguard
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
did you go to the lowest...also whats your method of flashing.....dirty flash? clean wipe?
The lowest option I had was 384mhz.

Flashing via CWM recovery: wiping data/system/cache/dalvik. Then CarbonRom and gapps. So clean wipe I think is what you are referring.

Snuzzo
Old
(Last edited by Snuzzo; 5th March 2014 at 09:57 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,740

DONATE TO ME
Sent you a zip to try via pm. Just let me know if it works.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 4

What do you get when you cross a cow with a lion?
One really messed up situation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuzzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Magamo
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Does this issue manifest itself when you have the phone plugged in? Can you get a logcat of the issue? Throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks may not be the best resolution here. There are ways of finding out the underlying cause.

mpdecision is not the cause here (That only affects the secondary core) nor is min frequency (You can override it in the HypnoToad images too, just set another governor (like say 'conservative). In FatToad it may look like it resets because Cyanogenmod doesn't display the second core in the performance settings, but changing it is sufficient for testing. The official CM 11 builds do not have the touch boost (which only affects things after the phone is awake, and merely sets the secondary core's frequency up to 1184 Mhz when you are touching the screen, but the affect on the percieved performance of the phone due to this is immense)

Deep sleep is likely closer to the main cause because that affects both cores, and if the system isn't receiving the proper signals to wake back up, this can happen. Throughout development on apexqtmo, we've run into similar problems, and it's always helped by getting proper documentation from those who are experiencing the issues.

TL;DR: Trying random things likely won't solve this issue. Getting all the information you can will help.
TeamApexQ -- irc.freenode.net/#apexqtmo