Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rom Port Team Effort - Let's bring a diversity of roms to our P880.

Tip us?

MidnightDevil
Old
(Last edited by MidnightDevil; 6th March 2014 at 11:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 809
Default Rom Port Team Effort - Let's bring a diversity of roms to our P880.

Rom Port Team Effort

Hello P880 community.

This post has the purpose to put together a group of users / developers, who are willing to participate into bringing a different set of roms into our community.
These set of roms that I'm thinking, can range from complete Sense ports to more customized and maybe less popular roms (like ColorOS, LiGux, FlymeOS, FluidUI, etc..).

What's valid on this thread:
- CM / AOSP (any base we already have) themed (like Samsung TouchUI, Optimus, Blur, etc..). So you can grab any rom (with author authorization), theme it (i mean, not just shove an apk as default theme, I mean neat theming ).
- Ports from other devices (evert port needs to have clear authors permission to port it).
- All users are very welcome, everyone can participate, users with porting / developing skills are needed as well.

The idea is simple, we're not going to use this thread to post the work, this is just a thread to talk about possible projects.
We can start by listing which devices are hardware compatible and the port is "easily" possible.

Roms that can be used as a base for eventual future ports.

CM10.2 - thanks to laufersteppenwolf for compiling this build promptly for this purpose
http://goo.im/devs/laufersteppenwolf...ICIAL-p880.zip

- - - - -

I strongly recommend the use of MultiRom for testing ports and other roms. That way you can maintain your working rom and whenver feeling adventurous you can without going through the hassle of backup / restore / yada yada yada that we are all too familiar with.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2655988

- - List of Devices with hardware similar / close / identical to the 4X - -

- HTC One X
- HTC One X +
- More ??

- Possible roms to port:

Right now would be nice to see a OEM rom, such a touchwiz or Sense

Work in Progress
N/A available

(awaiting sugestions

So, what do you guys think? ? Any users with good porting skills ? I know we have good developers! Ideas? Sugestions?

Write away

A few guides from XDA - They may not be all you need to get the job done, but a LOT of important information is written here. Don't forget to thanks their authors

Guides / Tutorials

PS - Every work that is possible to port and if someone decides to invest time in it, it needs explicit authors permission.

Mobile: LG Optimus 4X HD
Mobile: Google Nexus 5
Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 Wii

Be tolerant and use Good & Common HTC Sense! :P.

--- Interesting Reading ---
Android Terms / Slangs / Definitions and Guides Revised
What exactly batterystats.bin does.

Get 15GB of Free Space!!!

Don't post just to increase your post count, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting to reduce the amount of false information.
MD

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MidnightDevil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoinTheRealms
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1071
Sure if a few people want a particular rom i can bring it to our device, but i would much prefer helping first time rom builders do this own their own then they can maintain it also
My Devices

---------------------SmartPhones-----------------------------------|
Nexus 5
*MultiRom: Omni,SlimKat and Ubuntu-Touch

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
-----------------------Tablets------------------------------------------|
T100TA 64gb
*Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04

TF700 64gb
*Cromi 5 / Ubuntu 13.04 Dualboot

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
-----------------------T.V Sticks--------------------------------------|
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04
The Following User Says Thank You to JoinTheRealms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MidnightDevil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheRealms View Post
Sure if a few people want a particular rom i can bring it to our device, but i would much prefer helping first time rom builders do this own their own then they can maintain it also
Well, I though about some sort of "voting" to bring a "specific" rom.
Personally, I'd love to have Sense on our device. I had two HTC's before and I miss that Sense interface :b
But far as I'm aware, isn't an easy thing to port.

About your offer, this thread stands mostly with learning. The idea is everyone being able to contribute and more users start bringing roms as their first times. So, thank you so much for lending your help and know how, I'm sure we'll have a fine list of possible ports and then we can talk about how to port them over
Everyone can ask for help and the idea is to everyone who is able to - help.

Don't post just to increase your post count, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting to reduce the amount of false information.
MD

laufersteppenwolf
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4917

DONATE TO ME
I like the idea of this thread, but what would also be quite usefull is a list of available ROMs and their maintainer(s).
Also the list should include ROMs someone is working on ATM, so it cannot happpen that 2 devs are working on the same ROM

However, your idea is good, but porting a ROM not from sorce is quite hard, and might need some smali "hacking" in order to resolve bugs.
But well, we're a community, and I guess we can help each other if needed, right
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8: GingerDX v31b ; alfs CM7 v09c
LG Optimus 4x HD: my own version of CM 10.1 , CWM recovery, UNlocked BL

Crying that it's an application bug is like crying over the speed of light: you should deal with reality, not what you wish reality was. - Linus Torvalds
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MidnightDevil
Old
(Last edited by MidnightDevil; 5th March 2014 at 02:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufersteppenwolf View Post
I like the idea of this thread, but what would also be quite usefull is a list of available ROMs and their maintainer(s).
Also the list should include ROMs someone is working on ATM, so it cannot happpen that 2 devs are working on the same ROM

However, your idea is good, but porting a ROM not from sorce is quite hard, and might need some smali "hacking" in order to resolve bugs.
But well, we're a community, and I guess we can help each other if needed, right
That's correct!
The main point is to learn helping each other who knows in a month or so, today's whiners are tomorrow's contributors
Jokes aside, the first post will be edited in order to structure and add information.
I'm gonna start with compatible devices (the ones that allow porting in a easy way). Ideas? Besides the HTC One X ? I'm guessing the grouper (N7 2012) besides having the same soc, doesn't have the same screen...

PS - (this would be better with an experienced porter) - Maybe we could start with a easy one, and go on from there
I know we have "how to port" threads all around xda ,but each port is different so we can't use "one hat to fit them all" ... or a ring to rule them all, so we should treat each port differently.

However.. I'm gonna put some xda links about porting to bring some light into the matter for who is "new" on this subject... or for whom's feeling adventurous and can't wait to have "their" rom on "our" device

MD

FettleifIsMyUserName
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Oh yes finally, have been waiting for a thread like this for a long time me as well would love to see a sense rom on this phone
cm/aosp roms are not that hard to port most of the time u only need the same screen resolution for it to work. (ported a nexus s touchwiz rom over to my old lg optimus 2x) but would have loved to see some oem roms ported over as well, even though it would be a lot harder to port over. but as a wonderful community as this is we might be able to pull it off

Current: Nexus 5-Stock 4.4.2,Unlocked,Rooted,Xposed and my Asus Google Nexus 7-Stock 4.4.2, Unlocked, Rooted

Old: Lg Optimus 4x Hd-CM11
Nokia Lumia 800-WP 7.8
Lg Optimus 2x--SOLD-Stock ICS
Sony Ericsson X8-cm10
Samsung Galaxy Spica-cm7

Im still a noob here at Xda but if i helped u please press that button

laufersteppenwolf
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4917

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDevil View Post

That's correct!
The main point is to learn helping each other who knows in a month or so, today's whiners are tomorrow's contributors
Jokes aside, the first post will be edited in order to structure and add information.
I'm gonna start with compatible devices (the ones that allow porting in a easy way). Ideas? Besides the HTC One X ? I'm guessing the grouper (N7 2012) besides having the same soc, doesn't have the same screen...

PS - (this would be better with an experienced porter) - Maybe we could start with a easy one, and go on from there
I know we have "how to port" threads all around xda ,but each port is different so we can't use "one hat to fit them all" ... or a ring to rule them all, so we should treat each port differently.

However.. I'm gonna put some xda links about porting to bring some light into the matter for who is "new" on this subject... or for whom's feeling adventurous and can't wait to have "their" rom on "our" device

You can add the HOX+ to the list as well

About porting, you need to seperate it in two halfs, porting from source, and "winzipping". TBH, I'm no fas of winzipping at all, but some stuff (like sense or TW) can only be winzipped...

BTW, if you need a 2nd/3rd post, just let me know
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8: GingerDX v31b ; alfs CM7 v09c
LG Optimus 4x HD: my own version of CM 10.1 , CWM recovery, UNlocked BL

Crying that it's an application bug is like crying over the speed of light: you should deal with reality, not what you wish reality was. - Linus Torvalds
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeHuMaNiZeD
Old
Thanks Meter 1734
This thread has potential

I'm new to this forum,so i dont know whats going on about roms,i see there are few devs working full time.
I think this is the best way to go: Port ALL open source roms,such as we have already,but we need them all.

Second,make a badass kernel,with all features and customizations,possibly 3.4.

Third,and just a suggestion,Make a community ROM?

I really like this thread,and i even more like this OX4 community,you all get along,and i've missed that,i was on a forum that has no frendly people whatsoever.

And,about the roms,the idea is awesome,but i always think of the clash of clans rule,max everything out before going on a higher level.

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
(my device's codename is Falcon,so that's why i have a falcon in my signature

Moto G MAN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeHuMaNiZeD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

{fd}ware
Old
Thanks Meter 766

DONATE TO ME
Does anyone of you have a link to the latest CM10.2 (Android 4.3) for our device?
It seems like it's not anymore on get.cm and I wanted to start porting a TouchWiz (Note 3) ROM to our phone when I have free time
Regards,
{fd}ware

Current work in progress:
Protos 3:
The app, scripts, UI, UX, whatever.

Maybe a random app?

The Following User Says Thank You to {fd}ware For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MidnightDevil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by {fd}ware View Post
Does anyone of you have a link to the latest CM10.2 (Android 4.3) for our device?
It seems like it's not anymore on get.cm and I wanted to start porting a TouchWiz (Note 3) ROM to our phone when I have free time
I can't find them either, but I'm on a tablet so I can't look properly.
@laufersteppenwolf, do you have any *spare* 4.3 build?

MD