Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 53,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with Rooting and/or a custom ROM

Tip us?

Ben Folds
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Help with Rooting and/or a custom ROM

I have been researching this for several hours and have read several different ways to do this. I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I would like to root my HTC Inspire, or flash a Jelly Bean type ROM, the later would be preferred. I somewhat understand the steps: rooting, then possible S-off (which some say yes and some say no for flashing new ROM), then some type of recovery app, and finally the new ROM. Then I have also read that some ROMs do the rooting and unlocking for me. My confusion in the steps are more because of reading so many different ways that I'm turning to the experts here, hoping someone is tired of answering the same old questions. I have looked all over XDA, but the all inclusive steps seem to include outdated techniques.

This is what I have understood so far:

1) A hacking tool used to be available for rooting and now isn't
2) The Ace tool was then used, but I read that it isn't supported and may not work.
3) Official CM roms for the Inspire are only for Gingerbread replacement, which I have now so why replace it with that rom.
4) Other roms seem to be Jelly Bean type upgrades, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. Or if I need to root and unlock first before flashing it.
5) Possibly, maybe not, I would need to revert back to factory version (froyo) before doing anything.

Questions:
So, now rooting is done how? (if I wanted to only have root access but keep Gingerbread)

Is there a stable Jelly Bean rom that includes rooting and unlocking?

My Inspire came with Froyo and was upgraded OTA to Gingerbread, do I need to factory reset before doing any of these things?

(probably a stupid question to you guys, but....) I like customizing my phone, if I were to flash a Jelly Bean type rom, would that be the operating system version my phone would be, like when getting apps that require that version and above?

How does HTC Sense factor into all this?

Thanking you in advance for your patience!

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Need help?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Being root is not what is important. S off is with an unlocked bootloader. An unlocked bootloader gives u the opportunity to flash custom roms

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

If u need my help let me know. :/

Ben Folds
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb906 View Post
Need help?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Being root is not what is important. S off is with an unlocked bootloader. An unlocked bootloader gives u the opportunity to flash custom roms

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

If u need my help let me know. :/

Thanks so much for responding! If I follow the instructions here, and then find a rom I'd like to use?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2133336

This says it is for stock devices only. Mine has a Gingerbread update from Froyo.

What if I just wanted to root if I can't find a reliable rom to use. There are so many different sources for that without clear instructions.

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Just follow glevitans instructions..then gain s off and flash a jb rom

Ben Folds
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok. But, what if I just want to have root access without a custom rom. Like I was saying, the custom rom for Jelly Bean would be great if I could find a reliable one. But, in the meantime I'd like to root in order to get rid of all the bloatware that is consuming internal memory and battery.

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I hear ya. Sometimes staying stock after rooting is a good idea. After a cpl yrs flashing roms, I wish I would have. My devices performance slowed down.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I would suggest u unlock bootloader and gain s off. Or just unlock bootloader and keep s on. It's all a matter of preference.

Ben Folds
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I guess I'm missing something here, I thought rooting and unlocking were two different things. Unlocking would be preparing the phone for a Rom (along with root), which unless I find one, I won't do that. And then rooting can be done without unlocking or flashing a new Rom, but I'll have a few more performance tweaking options just with that. It seems the few tools used for rooting are either unavailable or sketchy to use. That's all I want right now, is to root the phone, unless you can suggest a reliable rom. I'd rather not unlock for no reason since this is my first time.

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I will post a Rom. Hold on.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

U have to unlock bootloader dude to gain root. I am trying to tell u that

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Flash mokee by cedarctic

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...uide_-_Android

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

And check this out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38571636

Ben Folds
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
This is what I was trying to say earlier about conflicting information on the internet, which the experts in these forums recommend we do first before bothering you. And people are using different terms that mean the same thing.

Lifehacker article said,"Unlocking your bootloader doesn't root your phone directly, but does allow you to root/and or flash custom roms."

That's why I kept asking the question. Some of us aren't stupid, just trying to learn based on the information provided.

This is what I have understood so far based on what you're saying?

1) unlock bootloader (found link for that)
2) s- on or off (how? To turn s-off)
3) root (still nothing on that step as far as the how to)

chrisb906
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Not saying ur stupid. Just want u to read the threads I posted so u are familiar with the root process

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Unlock your bootloader and leave your device s on. U will have to flash a Rom via fastboot.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Or u can unlock bl and install superuser