Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,443 Members 39,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wi-Fi Hotspot/ Tethering For Sprint Non-Activated LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA

Tip us?

pm.mohanani@gmail.com
Old
(Last edited by pm.mohanani@gmail.com; 9th March 2014 at 06:10 AM.) Reason: correction
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Wi-Fi Hotspot/ Tethering For Sprint Non-Activated LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA

here is the the Way Enable / Visible the Tethering Option in LG G2 Sprint Non-Activated Device...

Mandatory Steps
1). Root Required
2). Root Explorer or Rom Tool Lite installed (with root Permissions)

Before Proceeding Please Unlock your phone with the Thread given below...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50477852
all Credits to ysabxe

Please Credit to the above & following
Also for Detailed Procedure
http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/36...ls980-for-gsm/
this link by pvinodnayak

After that

Just Download the rar file named 'Carrier'.
Unzip / unrar it to Your Notebook/System. You wil get a Folder named Carrier.
Copy it(Carrier Folder) with the Original 'Carrier' Folder that Present in the Device. if asks for Overwrite, Please Proceed with Pleasure.
& Here you can see the Option Enabled, without booting the phone... if not seen then Please Reboot, so as to Function Properly.

Pros: It works on LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA, &

Cons:Nothing...

"No Hope that all Works, but for SURE that ALL Works"
Attached Files
File Type: rar carrier.rar - [Click for QR Code] (5.4 KB, 963 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pm.mohanani@gmail.com For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pvinodnayak
Old
(Last edited by pvinodnayak; 11th March 2014 at 12:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 156
Sprint LS980 G2 phone does not have wifi hotspot out of the box.
its somehow enabled when the phone is activated in Sprint network.
Now i know this because in India i have a G2 by Sprint. its a not activated ever
on any network.
To enable the MOD jus extract the folder from the OP and use root explorer
to replace the stock carrier folder with the extracted one.
Your Wi-Fi Hotspot should be under Settings/More.
This mod also enables Bluetooth and USB tethering.
Very Important:
You have to replace the folder and not just its content, just replace the folder by copying from the download and pasting on top of the stock, when prompted to overwrite the folder, select yes.

RoM Toollite Box root explorer does not work, for some reason it makes a copy of the carrier folder in root instead of replacing it. use only Root Explorer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pvinodnayak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7401

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvinodnayak View Post
Sprint LS980 G2 phone does not have wifi hotspot out of the box.
its somehow enabled when the phone is activated in Sprint network.
Now i know this because in India i have a G2 by Sprint. its a not activated ever
on any network.
To enable the MOD jus extract the folder from the OP and use root explorer
to replace the stock carrier folder with the extracted one.
Your Wi-Fi Hotspot should be under Settings/More.
This mod also enables Bluetooth and USB tethering.
Very Important:
You have to replace the folder and not just its content, just replace the folder by copying from the download and pasting on top of the stock, when prompted to overwrite the folder, select yes.

RoM Toollite Box root explorer does not work, for some reason it makes a copy of the carrier folder in root instead of replacing it. use only Root Explorer
The activation also configures Chameleon for the brand/carrier you're activating this under. By doing it this way Sprint was able to reduce the number of builds they were doing for MVNOs and just having customization made under this feature. One of the big things this sets are animations screens.
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)

pvinodnayak
Old
(Last edited by pvinodnayak; 11th March 2014 at 03:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
The activation also configures Chameleon for the brand/carrier you're activating this under. By doing it this way Sprint was able to reduce the number of builds they were doing for MVNOs and just having customization made under this feature. One of the big things this sets are animations screens.
Yes sir, Did not want to get into Chameleon thing, to be frank we just compared files of Sprint Activated phone which had working Wi-Fi tethering, fiddled around and got this working. Till date nobody has been able to do that with SPRINT galaxy S4 SPH-L720, I have asked many to help here. Nobody could figure it out till date. With the G2 we, in fact it was only pm.mohanani@gmail.com who did it with his R&D, I only tested it. All credit goes to him.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

We will be glad if you simplify this MOD and make it work without activating the chameleon for the brand/carrier.

garwynn
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7401

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvinodnayak View Post
Yes sir, Did not want to get into Chameleon thing, to be frank we just compared files of Sprint Activated phone which had working Wi-Fi tethering, fiddled around and got this working. Till date nobody has been able to do that with SPRINT galaxy S4 SPH-L720, I have asked many to help here. Nobody could figure it out till date. With the G2 we, in fact it was only pm.mohanani@gmail.com who did it with his R&D, I only tested it. All credit goes to him.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

We will be glad if you simplify this MOD and make it work without activating the chameleon for the brand/carrier.

I have yet to figure out how to repackage chameleon. Tried modifying it on Sammy N2 and S4 but that zip in cache.img is signed.

Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)

un1ocked
Old
Thanks Meter 6
do you have a "stock non activated" carrier folder?

sunny4691
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I did this mod and the tethering option is working perfectly , but after doing this mod the phone is showing sprint logo during shutdown and startup, earlier it displayed the LG logo only, any way to remove the sprint logo ?

DOBBY0
Old
Thanks Meter 5
It works?

Torpedro1978
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi, doesn't work for me out of the box. ZV8
Do we need to set permissions for the new folders/files?
I tried rw-r-r for the files, but still no thetering options.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app
LG G3 16GB D855 | LG Pad 8.3 V500: Stock Xposed | Samsung Galaxy R GT-i9103: Blueberry ICS 4.0.4 | Kindle Fire 2: [JB 4.4.2] SlimROM

InFiD3ViL
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Kinda confused as to what this does.

I already have the Wifi Hotspot 'unlock' that was posted here a while ago for the ZV8/ZVA.

But I am soon to be unlocking for either MetroPCS of T-Mobile, would this work for that, or am I way off base?

\What exactly does this do?