Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 40,304 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone coming from Nexus 5 to Z1c?

Tip us?

choboii
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Anyone coming from Nexus 5 to Z1c?

I currently have a Nexus 5 and dropped it and now have a broken screen. Was thinking about getting a new Nexus 5, but the wait time is too long for me. I like the Nexus 5 screen size, but my fingers can't reach the screen from diagonal to diagonal with one hand. Saw the Z1 compact and am really considering it.

A couple questions for those that switched from the N5 to Z1c

1) Is the 4.3 inch feel crammed? I know I will easily be able to use it one handed, but how is it with playing games? Never had a screen smaller than 4.7 inches.

2) I am in the US AT&T and I know it does not support one band on AT&T, how is the HSPA+ speed? Such as web browsing, viewing vines, and you tubing?

3) Do you miss the N5 or really happy with the switch?

This phone looks awesome ad I am really close to pulling the trigger. Just had a few concerns on minor things since I have watched all the videos out there on the Z1c .
Thanks in advance and hopefully this will help me make my decision!

ro_explorer
Old
Thanks Meter 524
I come from Nexus4 (which, as the case dimensions is almost identical with N5).

1. yes .. but only for a day or 2 .. after that you no longer notice the difference.
2. HSPA+ is excellent for watching Netflix movies (I'm doing this every day using the phone as a hotspot for my tablet)
3. I'm not missing my old phone at all .. I simply love the size and the "snapiness".

As a background, my last 2 phones were HTC ONE and then Nexus4 ...
Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
Nexus 4 - 16GB - Stock 4.4.2 + xposed
LG G Pad 8.3 - Stock + xposed
In-house: Nexus 7 - 32GB - (Stock 4.4.2 - rooted), RAZR i (stock 4.1.2 - rooted), Defy (MIUI) + Galaxy Tab 8.9 (ICS stock- rooted)

HAVIT bluetooth speaker review
The Following User Says Thank You to ro_explorer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d_ganggreen
Old
(Last edited by d_ganggreen; 10th March 2014 at 11:31 AM.) Reason: added
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by choboii View Post
I currently have a Nexus 5 and dropped it and now have a broken screen. Was thinking about getting a new Nexus 5, but the wait time is too long for me. I like the Nexus 5 screen size, but my fingers can't reach the screen from diagonal to diagonal with one hand. Saw the Z1 compact and am really considering it.

A couple questions for those that switched from the N5 to Z1c

1) Is the 4.3 inch feel crammed? I know I will easily be able to use it one handed, but how is it with playing games? Never had a screen smaller than 4.7 inches.

2) I am in the US AT&T and I know it does not support one band on AT&T, how is the HSPA+ speed? Such as web browsing, viewing vines, and you tubing?

3) Do you miss the N5 or really happy with the switch?

This phone looks awesome ad I am really close to pulling the trigger. Just had a few concerns on minor things since I have watched all the videos out there on the Z1c .
Thanks in advance and hopefully this will help me make my decision!
I do miss the larger screen somewhat, but after two days now I can say I am getting over it. Well worth the change for me for what I am getting in return. FM radio, better battery, waterproof, and yes the ability to use one-handed.

Actually what I miss more than the screen size is the "full screen" use of KitKat. Once this update is pushed to the Z1C, and I get the see thru menu I will never look back.

I am also on AT&T, but am currently in Germany so I can't test the speeds yet.

v/r
D
The Following User Says Thank You to d_ganggreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ajbattaglia83
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I came from a Nexus 5 on AT&T, HSPA+ speeds are fine for me I didn't use lte on my N5 either to save battery so not an issue for me. I also don't miss the large screen though I don't play games on it I use my nexus 7 for that

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ajbattaglia83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adey64
Old
Thanks Meter 24
rly good feeback i really want to know how different is the nexus 5 in terms of snappiness and smoothness in the android os compared to z1c? do animations/scrolling work better on n5?

d_ganggreen
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adey64 View Post
rly good feeback i really want to know how different is the nexus 5 in terms of snappiness and smoothness in the android os compared to z1c? do animations/scrolling work better on n5?
I can't notice any difference between the two. Neither phone has any lag from my use. I do have animations turned off through developer options though...just my preference as it makes the device a bit "snappier".