Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD] AT&T LG G2 KitKat Smaller Navigation Bar and Disable CarrierIQ

OP burningembers

10th March 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 189

395 posts
Disclaimer: I typically modify to meet my own needs, on my own time, for my own device. This means that it might not be a mod meant for everyone, nor has it been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. Use at your own risk.

Description: Modifies framework-res.apk in /system/framework to disable the loading of CarrierIQ on start-up as well as shrink the margins on the navigation bar for a little more screen real estate. This has only been tested and used on Stock AT&T LG G2 4.4 KitKat.

Link: https://db.tt/IoEgdIsr

Instructions: Back-up your current framework-res.apk in /system/framework then replace it with this one.

Notes:
  • CarrierIQ no longer shows 7 running processes via System Tuner on boot. To me, this indicates it is no longer being loaded. Otherwise, if you want, you can use System Tuner -> System -> Android System [Details] -> uncheck each of 7 CarrierIQ processes to do it manually.
  • This is a simple dimens.xml modification. Nothing major.
Last edited by burningembers; 10th March 2014 at 12:16 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to burningembers For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

50 posts
After replacing file with root explorer I went into a boot loop... Now I am afraid that I am going to have to completely restore my phone.
I know this is pretty straight forward but your file didn't work.
10th March 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #3  
Flag kahului
Thanks Meter: 259

1,427 posts
More
need to know if anyone was successful with this mod yet. do not want to go into a bootloop or force closes.
10th March 2014, 10:10 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
Also waiting for others to confirm this working first.
If only Xposed were working.
10th March 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #5  
Flag kahului
Thanks Meter: 259

1,427 posts
More
gonna flag this because it just crashes phones..... i just did it and i really dont think its funny.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Do not do it a full restore i needed after applying this so called mod>

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

i am actually kind of mad that this messed up my phone and took multiple tries to get into download mode. now i have to redo everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to podagee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #6  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 789

2,159 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by podagee

gonna flag this because it just crashes phones..... i just did it and i really dont think its funny.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Do not do it a full restore i needed after applying this so called mod>

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

i am actually kind of mad that this messed up my phone and took multiple tries to get into download mode. now i have to redo everything.

This works great. Use root explorer and set permissions. Don't forget to make a nandroid backup if you can.

Download the apk from OP, then:

1. I copied over the framework after renaming it. (I just added a 2 at the end)
2. Then I set permissions (I just checked all the boxes... why not). At this point it would be a good idea to backup your original framework apk in case you want to restore.
3. Then I named it properly and over wrote the original (removed the 2)
4. I rebooted.

I somewhat disagree with the post above, I wouldn't mind it being a little smaller.

I am running this on the D800 running the androiduser's power user D802 base ROM.

@burningembers can you make one that will get rid of the volume and brightness sliders? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394461760292.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2623330  
Last edited by joshuadjohnson22; 10th March 2014 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshuadjohnson22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

21 posts
This work perfect for me, here how i did it
First backup my framework apk
second i copied the mod framework apk to system folder
then i set 644 permission for it
finally i move and replace it to framework folder
restart rightaway and it work

thanks OP for the mod file
btw maybe you should shrink the navbar a little less, it way too thin in my opion
Last edited by gunlock4real; 10th March 2014 at 02:41 PM.
10th March 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 86

190 posts
More
Thanks heatshiver the nav bar smaller is nice. I'm still detecting Carrier IQ though .. Doing it manually with android tuner I would disable all of the items under android system? Thanks again bud

Edit: you probably already have this info but just in case or anyone else wanting to take a crack at totally disabling it (if possible)

Binaries:
/system/lib/libiq_client.so
/system/lib/libiq_service.so
*** Suspicious classes ***
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.BootComple tedReceiver
*** Running processes ***
system 1531 269 537876 40732 ffffffff 00000000 S diagandroid.iqd

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Last edited by th3g1z; 10th March 2014 at 07:11 PM.
10th March 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

30 posts
thanks for this mod. I'll try this tonight after I flash the rom. I wouldn't mind a smaller nav bar too if you ever think of making another one.
10th March 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 747

1,826 posts
This is a great mod, but remember that you cannot FULLY remove Carrier IQ from the ATT ROM. You can disable the services and prevent them from running which is what this does, and maybe it stops it all and maybe it doesnt IDK. But there is carrier IQ embedded into the UI code, the keyboard code, the messaging app code, etc. The only way to truly not have any Carrier IQ on your phone is to not run an ATT base ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EniGmA1987 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread