Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SmartWatch Recommendations?

Tip us?

YoshiFtJ
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SmartWatch Recommendations?

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but I am not sure where to go with it.

I am looking to get a smartwatch, but there are so many and it's a pretty niche market that I have no idea where to go.

All I really want is a watch to control my music and send/receive texts from my phone. Seems very useful when biking and the whatnot.

I am running a Galaxy Note 2, that seems to have some deal of impact on compatibility it seems.

ronfurro
Old
(Last edited by ronfurro; 11th March 2014 at 04:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31
With a small keyboard and a tiny screen, biking and texting is hazardous to your health.

The BIG question is FACTORY or MODDED.

FACTORY: Omate Truesmart

MODDED: Galaxy Gear

*Edited for correct terminology

Penguwin
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I currently have a Pebble, SW2 and a Toq and all three will do what you mention. Controlling your music can be made easier with the use of third-party apps in the case of the Pebble and SW2 and sending text messages can be done in the form of pre-made "canned" messages directly from the watches themselves.

Sorry I do not have much info on the Omate or Gear, as I do not own those smartwatches myself (yet) .
The Following User Says Thank You to Penguwin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gabrielsaragoc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I would recommend you Millennius smartq watch. its running on Android 4.4, has some great features and quite cheapest as well. only $99 AUD. You can even sending sms, accepting or rejecting call as well.

YoshiFtJ
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't plan on sending texts as I bike, but read them and check caller ID, I'm usually meeting people so it would help greatly to take a glance to see what a text says.

I will look into all of these. I had no idea the Gear was rooted, very good to know.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies so far.

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3258

DONATE TO ME
You don't run a TS unrooted. Ever.

From a pure performance standpoint. A Gear OC'd to 1.6GHz is about the same as the TS running at 1GHz.

Standalone- TS/x201
Companion- SmartQ or Gear
Companion (no games/vidoe media)- Toq
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

MontyMontie
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I currently have the mq588-L which is ok for calls an texts but find the volume too low..not updates or hacks. Can make calls and text but no Facebook etc. Just bought the zgpax and it looks solid...can work with or without a phone...good speaker android 4.0, camera and can be rooted. Can't wait to get it

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app