Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is it possible to password protect your recovery on Android?

OP xKillerXSmileZx

10th March 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 104

11 posts
More
I've searched but couldn't find anything related to this topic. I was wondering if it was possible to password protect your recovery on Android devices. For example, my phone is pretty old and unsupported now but it has Clockworkmod as my recovery for flashing ROMS and wiping and thought if a person wanting to steal my or anyone's phone, they just need to wipe it if they know how. However, this could be avoided by making the phone completely useless to them if recovery was password protected. Is this possible, and are there phones or custom recoveries that have something like that?
10th March 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 49

183 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nope...
The Following User Says Thank You to N'ayam Amarsh'e For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #3  
Flag Centurion
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
One use I can see for such a capability (at least a recovery password) is to make it harder to perform a factory reset on a stolen phone and it might give apps like Prey / Android device Manager a chance to activate...

It is certainly not completely foolproof, but it might help defend against the average thief that expect a stock recovery that allows settings to be wiped easily...
24th March 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #4  
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 586

1,855 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKillerXSmileZx

I've searched but couldn't find anything related to this topic. I was wondering if it was possible to password protect your recovery on Android devices. For example, my phone is pretty old and unsupported now but it has Clockworkmod as my recovery for flashing ROMS and wiping and thought if a person wanting to steal my or anyone's phone, they just need to wipe it if they know how. However, this could be avoided by making the phone completely useless to them if recovery was password protected. Is this possible, and are there phones or custom recoveries that have something like that?

Thats the most useful question/suggestion I remember !!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread