Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,880 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] is it safe to delete everything on a 2nd hand phone - including system folders

Tip us?

temp4285
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] is it safe to delete everything on a 2nd hand phone - including system folders

Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp4285 View Post
Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc
just boot into recovery, and do format, wipe data, etc.
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

N'ayam Amarsh'e
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro View Post
just boot into recovery, and do format, wipe data, etc.
Never Try to delete system folders on your phone you will surely get a brick and no one would be able to fix it....

Just Go to setting and find Factory Reset Option that would be the solution to your question...

Hit thanks if i helped......

temp4285
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by N'ayam Amarsh'e View Post
Never Try to delete system folders on your phone you will surely get a brick and no one would be able to fix it....

Just Go to setting and find Factory Reset Option that would be the solution to your question...

Hit thanks if i helped......

yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp4285 View Post
yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?
if you wipe with cwm it will erase everything that can be safely erased.
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

temp4285
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro View Post
if you wipe with cwm it will erase everything that can be safely erased.
not true - because if you delete the system folder - which you can - on some phones the imei resets, i believe, to something generic

any thoughts anyone ?