Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,792 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Knock on and battery life

Tip us?

crediblefi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Knock on and battery life

I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?

emprize
Old
Thanks Meter 122

DONATE TO ME
knock on doesnt eat any battery
The On-Screen music controller - MusicDroid!
MusicDroid

What's eating my network data? Time to get a data usage monitor!
NetChart

Google Doodle Wdiget and Notification:
GDW: Google Doodle Widget!

Soccer Highlights and Reviews:
CodeY-soccer highlight for You!

coburn_c
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblefi View Post
I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?
I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.
I miss Windows Mobile.

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by coburn_c View Post
I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.
That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

coburn_c
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.
The custom code for CM doesn't take advantage of any of the low level stuff. It just keeps the digitizer on all the time, even during phone calls.
I miss Windows Mobile.

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by coburn_c View Post
The custom code for CM doesn't take advantage of any of the low level stuff. It just keeps the digitizer on all the time, even during phone calls.
I'd have to assume that CM and other ROM kernels use the same code for knock-on as LG's kernel has, but maybe I'm wrong.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

shriom_manerker
Old
Thanks Meter 705
Quote:
I'd have to assume that CM and other ROM kernels use the same code for knock-on as LG's kernel has, but maybe I'm wrong.
naaa i doubt it, lg stuff is mostly proprietary, they cant be used by others legally. besides touch to wake came way befre lg even introduced the known on feature !
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Current Device -LG G2
Past Devices- Galaxy Nexus,Galaxy Sl i9003
Click "Thanks" if i helped
For More Social Interactions join these Facebook Groups
LG G2
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LGG2AndroidDevelopment/
Samsung Galaxy SL
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalaxySLGROUP/
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NexusPrime/

votinh
Old
Thanks Meter 417
Quote:

In my specific case, disabling Knock ON/OFF has improved battery life significantly, dramatically, from 49% drop (from 100 to 51) over 8-hour night (doing nothing) to 2% drop over the same period of time, again, doing nothing.
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Stock ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST

deathshead
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

crediblefi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead View Post
Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Even the stable builds? I'd love to get rid of all of the vzw bloatware etc, and I'm missing Cm bad haha