Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 44,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] tethering usage amount

Tip us?

AmericanHustle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [q] tethering usage amount

Longtime customer of TMobile and really fed up with the entire data issue. I still can't believe they were able to get away with the "unlimited" throttle back which was worthless when it happen. I admit to a little resentment.. Anyhow I digress. My current plan allows for unlimited data on my phone and 6.5GB Hotspot (tethering). I do not listen to music, or watch videos on my laptop the device being used for mobile hot spot. However last few months I max out. This month I received a text on the 4th I had used 6 and less the an hour later another text used 6.5, so I bought up to the 8 and 3 days later received text saying I had used the 8. Its not possible I am only sending emails and simple web browsing on laptop. ALL DOWNLOADS, software, music, videos, etc are being done on my phone. I went round and round with TMobile and all they can tell me is the total amount used. How can I tell amount being used on laptop?? And if the CSR at Tmobile cannot give me those amounts individually am I suppose to blindly trust them? I DON"T. Something is not right here.. can anyone give me any suggestions or advice?

TheArtiszan
Old
Thanks Meter 81
This is a really hard thing to diagnose.
Are you running a custom rom?
On staock rom the phone is setup to push all data when tethered through a specific APN that is different from what your phone uses for it's data.
That is how they knw how much data is being used.
It is possible that if you are running custom rom that it is sending data through the wrong one.
And I know this is going to sound to obvious, but the hotspot you make with the phone is it password protected and different from what anything else has access to?
If it is unsecured that could just be that someone else is leaching off your connection.
If neither of these is the case you would want to then find a bandwidth monitor for your computer to see if there is any other programs that are running in the background that are doing something without your knowledge.
I know I accidently has windows check and update on its own and between a office service pack and other updates it used 2gb on mine. Never knew it was doing it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AmericanHustle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Running stock and hotspot is password protected. Is it possible all data when tethered is going through that same apn? If I decide to download something on my phone while tethering and that is being or charged to my hotspot??? There must be some explanation for this...

nccountrymike
Old
Thanks Meter 4
If you're not using tether, turn it off as that may be a possible explanation. The other option is to flash a ROM that circumvents the tethering apn through tmo and carry on as usual.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

melqui2004
Old
Thanks Meter 9
If you have updates constantly that eats you up the amount of data as well I wasted 2.5 on 1 day just doing that without noticing

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app