Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 50,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What is the truth behind the sdcard complaints for KitKat

Tip us?

bassmanitram
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default What is the truth behind the sdcard complaints for KitKat

While researching the great N7000/Galaxy-S2 sdcard FUSE deadlock bug, I've come across lots of posts that complain in the strongest possible language about how KitKat has changed the rules for SD cards.

The android police thread named "external-blues-google-has-brought-big-changes-to-sd-cards-in-kitkat-and-even-samsung-may-be-implementing-them" seems to sum things up less emotionally:
  • An app without any permissions has automatic read and write for designated private folders on the primary and secondary storage
  • An app with WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, also has:
    • Read and write for any public folder on the primary (built-in) storage
    • Read (not write) for any public folder on the secondary (SD card) storage
This implies, as many posts point out, that some of our most useful tools (file managers, backup apps, ...) will no longer work.

But I'm not seeing that - FX, even in non-SU mode, can still create folders and files and copy between cards, for example.

So what IS the (full) truth, and how does this affect Omni?
The Following User Says Thank You to bassmanitram For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,371

DONATE TO ME
https://source.android.com/devices/t...g-example.html

Note: Anything here relating to use of the sdcard daemon for anything other than mapping /data/media to /sdcard on devices with unified storage is NEW for 4.4

Also relevant: https://github.com/omnirom/android_s...faf8155737ec2d - this is the one that modified the sdcard fuse daemon to do all the new stuff, and it's somewhere in the set of changes starting here that the problem lies.

It can't simply be reverted out as all of the new KK perms management stuff depends on the new daemon to work properly.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bleggy
Old
Thanks Meter 88
would it be fair to say that they're killing off the ext card?

jeffsf
Old
(Last edited by jeffsf; 17th March 2014 at 03:13 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 975

DONATE TO ME
Google has never had a card slot in their phones. Originally, they wanted you to store everything on their servers.

The changes are needed to provide some level of security on the external card, a gaping hole prior to KK and not a whole lot better now. For a slew of reasons, you don't want any app to be able to arbitrarily read another apps data, even if on the card.
---
Posted from whatever phone booted today
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]