Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,340 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why can't Sense framework be packed into an APK?

Tip us?

Elite83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] Why can't Sense framework be packed into an APK?

I'm not a developer so please bare with me.

Why can't HTC Sense framework be packed into a ZIP or even APK? I realize the source code is likely under lock and key by HTC, but is that what is needed to make this work? Is it not possible to extract it from developer releases of their ROMs?

Computers can operate by being able to install different packages and frameworks to make certain software work, so why not for Android? The Xposed framework can be installed via APK (similarly to how one would install C++ updates for their PC).

It would be absolutely phenomenal, if taht is even a grand enough word to use if this would be possible. That way, HTC apps like Camera, ZOE, TV etc. would be compatible even on Google Play Edition or other AOSP ROMs.

I say this because after doing research I see that a lot of HTC Sense apps were ported to previous versions of Android GE (ICS for example) that still contained Sense framework files needed to make these apps work.

Could someone intelligible please enlighten me to this? I'd love to at least understand why this is, or is not feasible.

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,138

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite83 View Post
I'm not a developer so please bare with me.

Why can't HTC Sense framework be packed into a ZIP or even APK? I realize the source code is likely under lock and key by HTC, but is that what is needed to make this work? Is it not possible to extract it from developer releases of their ROMs?

Computers can operate by being able to install different packages and frameworks to make certain software work, so why not for Android? The Xposed framework can be installed via APK (similarly to how one would install C++ updates for their PC).

It would be absolutely phenomenal, if taht is even a grand enough word to use if this would be possible. That way, HTC apps like Camera, ZOE, TV etc. would be compatible even on Google Play Edition or other AOSP ROMs.

I say this because after doing research I see that a lot of HTC Sense apps were ported to previous versions of Android GE (ICS for example) that still contained Sense framework files needed to make these apps work.

Could someone intelligible please enlighten me to this? I'd love to at least understand why this is, or is not feasible.
Ok what you seem not to know is that the framework is the base file for the whole system. This is the file that the drivers and other low level code is set to use. HTC frameworks and AOSP or GE frameworks are very different. To make it work you would need to have HTC release all the driver code and then find a way to mix and match the frameworks to make it work. This would make it almost twice the size.

They will never make it into AOSP. As it goes against just what AOSP stands for.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Elite83
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel View Post
Ok what you seem not to know is that the framework is the base file for the whole system. This is the file that the drivers and other low level code is set to use. HTC frameworks and AOSP or GE frameworks are very different. To make it work you would need to have HTC release all the driver code and then find a way to mix and match the frameworks to make it work. This would make it almost twice the size.

They will never make it into AOSP. As it goes against just what AOSP stands for.
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that.

Another quick question though, if that is the case, why were users(devs?) able to port some HTC Sense apps to GPE roms on previous releases of Android like JB? Or has the entire GPE rom shrunken in size since then because of the obliteration of the lingering Sense files?
Tags
apk, framework, htc, rom, sense