Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Before I jump ship I'd like to know...

OP Chad_Petree

13th March 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #1  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 185
 
2,400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
I'm about to preorder the Z2, but there are some things that I need to know before doing it:

1.Has sony had problems with too cold (blue)/ too warm (yellow) screens?

2. The holes on the left side are for a charging dock, that I know but I don't i'll ever use it, does the phone come with a flap to cover it?

3. Do Z/Z1 have been known to shatter easily? I've always thought having a glass back is a terrible idea, and after havinf the Nexus 4 I promised myself I wouldn't buy a phone with a glass back again, I was always so paranoid, it wasn't fun, I still see Iphones 4/4s and nexus 4 with cracked backs , I know the Z phones used to come with a screen protector out of the box, but I'm interested in the stories of people who took it off, since the new Z2 does not come with this protector anymore.

4. Can you get rid of that ugly bar with icons when you multitask to put some kind of widgets on the homescreen?

5. Is it true that the corners have been softened? They look identical to me on pictures

6. how long did it take developers to unlock the Z/Z1 bootloader? I'm not planning on flashing roms ever again, but I like having root and couldn't have an android phone without xposed

7.Why was the battery life just ok with the z1? It has a 3000 mah but the LG G2 for example lasted quite a bit more with the same battery capacity and so did the Note 3 with a considerably bigger screen

8. No hope for a 32 gb version?

9: Does the phone have qualcom's quickcharge 2.0 like the G2? The LG G2 battery charges in under 2 hours! The Z1 doesn't have it, it takes the phone 3 hours to go from 0% to 100%

Thanks guys
Last edited by Chad_Petree; 13th March 2014 at 11:18 AM.
13th March 2014, 12:03 PM   |  #2  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 720
 
827 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

2. At least my friends Z or my Z1 didn't cover the magnetic charger pins.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.
Last edited by akselic; 13th March 2014 at 12:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 01:00 PM   |  #3  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 185
 
2,400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic

Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.

So that's why they created the calibration app, haha I was so naive I thought it was just because they wanted to give the customer some extra tweaking options .

What about scratches?

I meant this bar :


And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people



And the camera issue with the sides of the picture concern me, I'm thinking its a hardware issue because the z2 samples show the same situation :'( check out the grass on the left and right corners :'(



OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?


Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
Last edited by Chad_Petree; 13th March 2014 at 01:35 PM.
13th March 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #4  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 720
 
827 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree

What about scratches?

And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people.

OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?

The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.
Last edited by akselic; 13th March 2014 at 01:30 PM.
13th March 2014, 01:40 PM   |  #5  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 185
 
2,400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic

The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.

I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
13th March 2014, 02:05 PM   |  #6  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 720
 
827 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree

I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments

Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.

I have HTCs One X and to this day it doesn't have S OFF. The grass always seems greener on the other side

That issue you mentioned in pictures, I never saw it in Z1 reviews either. I first bumped into it here at XDA.

And oh THAT bar. It's just for opening up mini apps that work a bit like floating video from Samsung i.e. on top of the system. Widgets are added from the home screen settings as usual.
14th March 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 15
 
395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
This thread answered me a lot of questions. I hope I will dive into z2. Currently having HTC desire HD. Only I miss is the IR

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
14th March 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #8  
rowlers's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 320
 
1,048 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
Yep this is an informative thread... Answered many of my queries too!
What are sony's like for flashing ROMS? With my s3 it's very easy - I can download and flash on the go. Is this the case with the z1/z2?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
14th March 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #9  
stress40's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Riihimäki, Finland
Thanks Meter: 36
 
186 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Smile
Yep, I agree that this is a very informative thread. I am also curious about the flashing aspect of the z2 and Sony phones in general. Like the guy above me, I have also nearly flashed my s3 to death. As this will be my first Sony Android phone, are they as easy as my s3 to root and flash? I have been on the other forums and trying to read and see but, it gets all a bit confusing with info here, there and everywhere lol. I have my z2 on pre order so have made the commitment to jump ship already. Will be sad to see my s3 go . It has been a great phone. Anyway, heres to a great future with an awesome phone
14th March 2014, 09:57 AM   |  #10  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 720
 
827 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlers

What are sony's like for flashing ROMS? With my s3 it's very easy - I can download and flash on the go. Is this the case with the z1/z2?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stress40

I am also curious about the flashing aspect of the z2 and Sony phones in general. Like the guy above me, I have also nearly flashed my s3 to death. As this will be my first Sony Android phone, are they as easy as my s3 to root and flash? I have been on the other forums and trying to read and see but, it gets all a bit confusing with info here, there and everywhere lol.

Sony gives tools and instructions to unlock the bootloader and flashing isn't too difficult. The process is different from flashing with Samsung though. It even used to be possible to root without unlocking the BL but they have made that harder in later updates at least on the Z1. You need a computer to root and install the recovery but after that flashing can be done rather easily.

You have to be sure to install a recovery and do a backup before unlocking the bootloader or you will lose a partition that holds Sony's proprietary DRM keys forever
(they are unique for each device). These keys hold access to BIONZ and some other tech/software that isn't accessible on unlocked devices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes