[Q] Bought the SM-N900 for use in the US, did I mess up?

OP vicmora5

14th March 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

287 posts
More
Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?
14th March 2014, 06:49 AM   |  #2  
Flag HCMC
Thanks Meter: 32

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmora5

Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?

Yeah. Maybe it isnt support 4g

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th March 2014, 06:54 AM   |  #3  
Flag RAWALPINDI
Thanks Meter: 541

2,943 posts
More
Should have gone for 9005.
The Following User Says Thank You to sohebq For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

287 posts
More
When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?
14th March 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #5  
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,507

2,072 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?

You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

You can also try the N9005 if you're into tinkering and whatnot.

Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

287 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

You can also try the N9005 if you're into tinkering and whatnot.

Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.

Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help
14th March 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,507

2,072 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help

N9005 is most used internationally so more devs support this device. But the N900T also works too.

Not the N900A if you care about ROMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread