Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 39,026 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought the SM-N900 for use in the US, did I mess up?

Tip us?
 
vicmora5
Old
#1  
vicmora5's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 287
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Bought the SM-N900 for use in the US, did I mess up?

Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/41/191/vicmora5.png?1294864322863
 
hhai2pth
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 187
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: HCMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmora5 View Post
Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?
Yeah. Maybe it isnt support 4g

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
sohebq
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 525
Posts: 2,865
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RAWALPINDI
Should have gone for 9005.
The Following User Says Thank You to sohebq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
vicmora5
Old
#4  
vicmora5's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 287
Join Date: Dec 2010
When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/41/191/vicmora5.png?1294864322863
 
nicholaschum
Old
#5  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,067
Posts: 1,636
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hong Kong (Toronto, ON)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmora5 View Post
When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?
You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

You can also try the N9005 if you're into tinkering and whatnot.


Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.
Problem with ROM? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 23/08, ak v34, TWRP 2.7.1.1

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v128, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II


The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
vicmora5
Old
#6  
vicmora5's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 287
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

You can also try the N9005 if you're into tinkering and whatnot.


Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.
Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/41/191/vicmora5.png?1294864322863
 
nicholaschum
Old
#7  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,067
Posts: 1,636
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hong Kong (Toronto, ON)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmora5 View Post
Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help
N9005 is most used internationally so more devs support this device. But the N900T also works too.

Not the N900A if you care about ROMs.
Problem with ROM? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 23/08, ak v34, TWRP 2.7.1.1

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v128, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II


The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes