Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,579 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The correct order of root

Tip us?
 
cohena
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2004
Default [Q] The correct order of root

Hi,

I want to root my xperia z1 compact.
As i read, there are few steps that i need to take before rooting my device - backup TA partition, installing CWM, rooting the device.
Both of the CWM/TA backup require that the device will be rooted but if i will root my device without backing up the TA partition i cant go
back and reinstall the stock rom.

What is the correct order of the rooting process?
If the rooting process will get done correctly can i reinstall my stock rom back(for warranty issues)?
What are the downside for rooting - i want it mainly for Titanium backup and the Lba apps?

Thanks for any help!
 
thermalboyz
Old
#2  
thermalboyz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 294
Posts: 458
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NoWhere
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642081

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2634196

If you follow the guide, you should be able to root without Unlocking Bootloader (Which will cause you loosing TA if you Unlock bootloader first)

So, the best way is to Root (Without unlock bootloader) which is in the guidance, then Backup TA, then you can unlock bootloader if you like (to install ROM or other tweaks).

For myself i just need root so i kept the Bootloader lock and have a backup TA just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to thermalboyz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cohena
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalboyz View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642081

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2634196

If you follow the guide, you should be able to root without Unlocking Bootloader (Which will cause you loosing TA if you Unlock bootloader first)
If i understood correctly, i will be flashing other rom(previous version in which the root witout unlooking bootloader exploit exsist), to my device.
what will be the effects on my device? will i lose my current device configurations - apps/settings/localization/...? where this change wil be noted?

The process is very complicated and with a lot of "Brick" possibilities, will a more noob friendly version should be expected soon?
 
zxz0O0
Old
#4  
zxz0O0's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,255
Posts: 865
Join Date: Apr 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Yes you will lose your data as stated in the guides. There isn't really any brick potential, if you screw something up you should always be able to start over again.
As long as there is no other exploit, there won't be an easier method.
 
D_R_Z_87
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohena View Post
If i understood correctly, i will be flashing other rom(previous version in which the root witout unlooking bootloader exploit exsist), to my device.
what will be the effects on my device? will i lose my current device configurations - apps/settings/localization/...? where this change wil be noted?

The process is very complicated and with a lot of "Brick" possibilities, will a more noob friendly version should be expected soon?
Hi,

I've rooted my Z1C successfully 2 weeks ago with this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642081

At step 18 you had to do a factory reset... You should always create a backup. But you're are right, this guide could be more noob friendly

I wish there were some screenshots or more detailed explanations, because after I flashed the first file, I only could see a black screen, a white symbol photo of the Z1C with some japanese (?) characters and the phone doesn't do anything... Can't turn off, can't exit this screen... I was shocked until I see a home screen
 
zxz0O0
Old
#6  
zxz0O0's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,255
Posts: 865
Join Date: Apr 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_Z_87 View Post
[..] But you're are right, this guide could be more noob friendly

I wish there were some screenshots or more detailed explanations, because after I flashed the first file, I only could see a black screen, a white symbol photo of the Z1C with some japanese (?) characters and the phone doesn't do anything... Can't turn off, can't exit this screen... I was shocked until I see a home screen
If you have some concrete tips I'll be happy to edit the guide
 
D_R_Z_87
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxz0O0 View Post
If you have some concrete tips I'll be happy to edit the guide
Hi,

in my situation it would have been helpful to know following things:
- is it ok to rename the downloaded .ftf files from .zip to .ftf ? --> in my case it was ok, because the windows explorer automatically saves the .ftf file as .zip (also .apk files). --> in your guide, post #8, you wrote that this is not ok.
- as i already wrote in my last post, i thougt my phone got bricked after flashing the first file...
- i got stuck at step 13, installing dualrecovery and got the message "Waiting for device to connect" - in my case everything was configured right on my computer, already checked your tips, but it doesn't work until the fifth restart of my phone... maybe you should also suggest a few restarts when the phone would not be recognized

i've rooted several samsung and google nexus devices, but this phone...

but in general, your guide is really good and helped me!
The Following User Says Thank You to D_R_Z_87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes