Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,914 Members 50,201 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Turning a 4G Xoom to a Wifi Xoom

Tip us?

romshark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Tablet [Q] Turning a 4G Xoom to a Wifi Xoom

I have a 4G LTE Xoom that was on Verizon. I recently upgraded (now I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition), and my parents are buying my Xoom for use around the house on Wifi.

My question is: Can I just flash a Wifi Rom? Or will that mess up other things? Also, can/should I remove the LTE SIM card?

webeougher
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I know prior to BigPart, you could flash Wingray roms and get the what you're trying to achieve, but I did read that someone else tried that with the BigPart roms and got a whole slew of FCs that made the tablet unusable. I've currently suspended my tablet line through Big Red and I simply took my SIM card out. I get a warning any time I reboot about mobile data not working until a valid SIM card is installed, but if you ignore that, it functions perfectly otherwise.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

romshark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I'll be honest: I haven't flashed a new ROM to my Xoom in a long time. It's currently running EOS Nightly 197 (Android 4.2.2) I had to look up what BigPart is, but I haven't installed anything like that. Would it be better if I do install Bigpart, and a Bigpart ROM? I think they can deal with pressing a "no SIM card" message on startup, but even on my current ROM, it's pretty laggy and slows down. Are Bigpart ROMs any better, or should I downgrade back to Honeycomb or something?

webeougher
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by romshark View Post
I'll be honest: I haven't flashed a new ROM to my Xoom in a long time. It's currently running EOS Nightly 197 (Android 4.2.2) I had to look up what BigPart is, but I haven't installed anything like that. Would it be better if I do install Bigpart, and a Bigpart ROM? I think they can deal with pressing a "no SIM card" message on startup, but even on my current ROM, it's pretty laggy and slows down. Are Bigpart ROMs any better, or should I downgrade back to Honeycomb or something?
If your parents are like mine (read: not particularly tech-savvy), I'd probably just go back to stock JB. As much as I love the features of 4.4.2, you can't beat the stability and smoothness of 4.1.2 on this now-three-year-old tablet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app