Originally Posted by TurboTronix
Reading now about Plex, some say it cost something, some don't, trying to figure out what is the main purpose of Plex and if its a monthly fee and if so why.
Plex is useful for...
- Streaming locally-stored content
- Transcoding (converting on-the-fly) content for streaming content in formats that the device does not support
- Extra Premium features such as offline sync
Support for Chromecast used to
be available to premium users only (as part of early access), but it is now available to all.
To use Plex on Android, you need the Plex app.
If you subscribe to PlexPass (the premium features), you can use Plex for PlexPass which is free.
If not, the Plex for Android app is $4.99
- Plex Media Server software - free
- Hardware to run Plex Media Server on - you provide
- PlexPass (Premium) features - monthly, yearly or lifetime subscription
- Plex Android app - free for PlexPass subscribers, $4.99 (one-time) without PlexPass subscription
Plex (and on-the-fly transcoding in general) is especially useful if you have multiple playback clients that don't necessarily support the same formats. Otherwise an alternative is to simply convert your media library to a format that your player supports.