Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,536 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast now officially on sale in Canada

Tip us?

DJames1
Old
(Last edited by DJames1; 19th March 2014 at 05:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Default Chromecast now officially on sale in Canada

C$39 on amazon.ca, free shipping. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IT92PR0

I guess that world release was even closer than Google predicted at SXSW.

But notice that this is the "New Canada Compatible" version! (i.e., package printed in French as well as English )
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Croptop
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
C$39 on amazon.ca, free shipping. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IT92PR0

I guess that world release was even closer than Google predicted at SXSW.

But notice that this is the "New Canada Compatible" version! (i.e., package printed in French as well as English )
Ordered one this morning. I've already got two rooted 'casts but I figured I'd get an "official" one to see just what it supports without the rooting. I suspect that the answer will be "not much".

DJames1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Ordered one this morning. I've already got two rooted 'casts but I figured I'd get an "official" one to see just what it supports without the rooting. I suspect that the answer will be "not much".
Geo-blocked U.S. services are still geo-blocked, but you don't need a rooted version to work around that.

TurboTronix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I just got one as well from Amazon.ca. Wondering if it gives the possibility to live stream TV channels like something from Russia. I saw several sites that offer subscriptions but none offers Chromecast compatibilities.

Reading now about Plex, some say it cost something, some don't, trying to figure out what is the main purpose of Plex and if its a monthly fee and if so why.
Phone #1: LG Optimus G unlocked
Phone #2: Samsung Galaxy S4
Tablet: HP Touchpad 32GB CM9 ICS

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post
Reading now about Plex, some say it cost something, some don't, trying to figure out what is the main purpose of Plex and if its a monthly fee and if so why.
Plex is useful for...
  • Streaming locally-stored content
  • Transcoding (converting on-the-fly) content for streaming content in formats that the device does not support
  • Extra Premium features such as offline sync

Support for Chromecast used to be available to premium users only (as part of early access), but it is now available to all.

To use Plex on Android, you need the Plex app.
If you subscribe to PlexPass (the premium features), you can use Plex for PlexPass which is free.
If not, the Plex for Android app is $4.99

So...
  • Plex Media Server software - free
  • Hardware to run Plex Media Server on - you provide
  • PlexPass (Premium) features - monthly, yearly or lifetime subscription
  • Plex Android app - free for PlexPass subscribers, $4.99 (one-time) without PlexPass subscription

Plex (and on-the-fly transcoding in general) is especially useful if you have multiple playback clients that don't necessarily support the same formats. Otherwise an alternative is to simply convert your media library to a format that your player supports.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJames1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
The main reason that many of us end up using Plex is that it's useful in several different ways, and although there are equally good alternatives in each area, it just seems sensible to consolidate on Plex.

I don't really need to index all the media on my network and add metadata - but as long as the capability is there with Plex, why not?

I can get by without transcoding, at least for one or two devices, as long as I'm willing to do some quick conversions when I need to - but as long as Plex is there and it will do transcoding, I guess I don't need to bother. And I keep adding more devices...

There are other ways to browse my media on my iPod Touch or Android tablet, but I bought those Plex apps some time ago when they were on sale for $1.99, so I might as well use them now that they support the Chromecast.

My old Samsung TV happens to have a Plex client app, and so does my Roku media player, so it supports my devices in addition to the Chromecast.

And Plex has a bunch of channels of its own to supplement what I get from other sources, and some of those channels are killer!

So while Plex is far from perfect - there are bugs and the indexing and meta-data sometimes goes wrong - it's hard to find another tool that does so much.