Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,215 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Off-topic, other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Tip us?

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 13769
Default Off-topic, other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1475
Anyone has both the M8 and S5? Or had the M8 and now the S5 _(or the other way around? Although the S5 just came out)? How do they compare? Please try to be as objective as possible Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Jack Bauer is back!!!!!!!!!

Current Device: OnePlus One

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

besweeet
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I have both on me to review for a while. The M8 is obviously heavier, a little taller but not quite as wide as the GS5. I prefer something compact to better use in one hand, like an iPhone, but either one isn't as bad as I thought to use with one hand (although still somewhat difficult). I'm really enjoying the GS5's design. After using the M8 for a week, it already feels a bit dated for some reason. I'm glad the GS5 doesn't use virtual navigation buttons, allowing more screen space. Those are basically my initial impressions between the two for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to besweeet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

delawaredrew
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
Anyone has both the M8 and S5? Or had the M8 and now the S5 _(or the other way around? Although the S5 just came out)? How do they compare? Please try to be as objective as possible Thanks!

My gf has the M8 and I have the S5. Only a few days now but I like them both. We both had hung onto our original Rooted and ROMed Notes before these.
Some initial impressions:
  • S5 is lighter so maybe a bit easier to one hand, although after the Dell Streak and Note anything seems small and easy.
  • M8 feels more solid due to design/weight, but that is more a perception than function thing. The all plastic Note was fine so I don't expect an issue with the S5.
  • Screens are comparable, both very nice; different but one isn't distinctly better than the other in real life usage.
  • Speaker sound is obviously won by the M8, not even close. The S5 is ok, but the M8 is designed for sound and it shows.
  • Performance seems great for both, although I haven't had the M8 in my hand as much.
  • Reception (LTE) is the same in a side by side test on my table, just using the on screen indicator. Both are better than the Note.
  • I actually like the on screen keys on the M8 as they are the same as my tablets, I'm getting used to the S5 home button but I haven't had a physical home button in a long time (since the iPhone 3g- ...don't judge me!).

We both ditched the Stock UI for Nova and/or Apex Launcher immediately so I have no idea how Sense and Touchwiz compare in usage other than they felt both restrictive and simplistic off the bat.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know and I'll check it out; but after a few days around both I'd be happy using either device.
Drew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delawaredrew For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bailey37821
Old
(Last edited by bailey37821; 21st April 2014 at 02:52 PM.) Reason: accuracy
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post

Coming from an Lg optimus G Pro..... got an M8 on 4/17 and started having issues with it resetting the home screens for no reason. Im sure it is probably just a rare bad unit but since it is my first HTC, I decided to return it and get an S5.

Really no reason to write several paragraphs on the comparisons as most of the comparisons done so far is what I have seen as well. To sum it up

*The HTC is elegant, cleaner interface, not as "gimmicky", looks and feels better made (although covering it in a case takes away all that beauty advantage), and has better external sound (by a lot). This not only applies to music but also to speaker phone calls. For those that are still confused about the sd card The US version DOES HAVE an SD slot on the left side opposite to the sim tray, so that argument is mute. The onscreen buttons are a pain to get used to unless you are coming from something with the same.

* The S5 takes better pics (not by a lot and you really only notice when they are side by side unless you have a photographers eye), the s5 is water and dust resistant (this is a biggie impo), i think the s5 battery is going to be a bit better, I dont see any real world difference in the screen clarity or color between the two. You will never notice any difference in speed rather in everyday apps or playing something like riptide, the s5 operates hotter and does not dissipate processor heat as well as the m8. Im worried about the charging port cover breaking on the s5. Too bad they did not get rid of the fp scanner and the hr monitor and spend the money on dual speakers.

*Photos and water resistance important = S5
*Sound and cleaner less gimmicky important = M8

"All readers should consider that every word stated here is a matter of opinion. I am not explicitly promoting either phone or brand, and only making statements of fact as they apply to my personnel observations"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bailey37821 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dannyblazer149
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Leaving samsung after 6 years

i have been with Samsung since their flip phone. and i even dealt with the stupid boot loader lock on the s4 for a year. and i recently got the galaxy s5 not even a week and i am going to exchange it for the htc one m8. I was greatly disappointed to find out that the Galaxy S5 (SUCH A POWERFUL PHONE) was locked down. It truly depressed me. and then recently i found out you can unlock the htc one m8 boot loader at their website, THAT IS AWESOME, but why cant sammy do that? its dumb. so i just wanted to let everyone that reads this know that htc CAN be unlocked. unlock crappy sammy. And to be honest i love the Galaxy S5, its powerful, fast, and amazing. but i cannot go another year without custom roms, kernels, and recoveries, thanks to my s4 being locked, i never got to learn the newest roms, kernels, or recoveries. so in exactly 4 days im leaving the locked down chamber of samsung and entering the freedom of htc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyblazer149 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t91180
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I would love to hear comparison of the battery in the LG G2 vs this phone. I am tossed up on going back to the LG since my experience with battery on this phone has been subpar.
Teresa

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 (for now)
The Following User Says Thank You to t91180 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

besweeet
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by t91180 View Post
I would love to hear comparison of the battery in the LG G2 vs this phone. I am tossed up on going back to the LG since my experience with battery on this phone has been subpar.
I've only used my GS5 unit for a little while, but I'm pretty sure the G2 has better battery life. (I was very impressed with it in my G2 review.)

Jubi Lee
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm still not a GS5 owner yet. No 32GB model along with the locked bootloader has really turned me off buying one (and I'm not going to pay full price for one from T-Mo, or switch carrier due to my work discount).

At this point I've got my eye on the OnePlus One when it comes out. Unlocked, running Cyanogenmod out of the box, nice. A little bigger than I'd like considering it's in the same class as the Galaxy Note 3, but it's still pretty enticing, especially for the price.

I've been a Samsung user for several years now, but I think AT&T has ruined it with their nonsense. I might just save my subsidized upgrade for something better down the road.

lyrad12
Old
Thanks Meter 23
it's there any dedicated forum for galaxy gear fit? I just saw the forum of the first gen of the gear that's it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app