Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,237 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooting SGH-T999 with Skipsoft

Tip us?

fdecker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] rooting SGH-T999 with Skipsoft

I've read as much as I can and I just need a little more help. I want to be able to root my T-Mobile Galaxy S3, SGH-T999.

1. Is there any other way to pull files from /data/data without rooting?
2. Can I just do a simple root and then later root with CWM or TWRP using another option?
3. I thought rooted was rooted, what is the need for "insecure boot"? Is that the only way to get a file image backup of my partitions?
4. None of the rooting options in the Skipsoft Android Toolkit wipe the device, correct?
5. Is the only way to be able to "recover" back to stock by installing a "custom recovery"?

All of the options include "custom recovery". What if I just want to root the device and install a custom recovery later? Or it custom recovery included in all the options so I can get back to stock if I mess up? Thanks!

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3634

DONATE TO ME
I am not sure why you'd need to go to such extent.

By your question on Insecure Kernel, I assume, you have Stock 4.3 update. If so, please flash SuperSU Zip via Custom Recovery. You can Also flash Root66 of 4.3 (UVUEMJC ) to get Root as well. None of these methods are destructive and make you loose your data.

As to your other questions, /data/data should be accessible read only to Good File explorers such as ES File Explorer. My Backup Pro should be able to backup those files too. Insecure boot is needed to root as SELINUX Enforcing will not let you have Stable Root. Best Flash ATT Insecure Kernel Posted on this sub forum. I don't understand what you mean by "Recover to Stock".

fdecker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default can't do anything without root

I tried ES File explorer and 2 others, they show /data/data as blank. Most everywhere I've looked says you have to have root

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3634

DONATE TO ME
In that case please post your Current Android version and what you see under Baseband. What step we take next depends on this information.

fdecker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default rooting galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus71 View Post
in that case please post your current android version and what you see under baseband. What step we take next depends on this information.
4.3, t999uvuenc2

jmberumenb
Old
(Last edited by jmberumenb; 26th March 2014 at 01:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdecker View Post
4.3, t999uvuenc2
Root 66 Will not work you will need Auto Root, CWM/TWRP and Update SuperSU for a complete root.

CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-d2tmo-sght999.tar
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-d2tmo
UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93
DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0

For a suceed root and Knox remove.