APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unlock bootloader on XT926 rooted after JB OTA update 9.30.1

OP impinball

23rd March 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
I've successfully rooted my Droid RAZR MAXX HD with stock firmware version 9.30.1, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

The one catch with my phone being rooted is that it always ends up in fastboot when it boots. A simple
Code:
fastboot continue
fixes the problem, but I was wanting to flash CWM Recovery to install CM.

I have a working su/Superuser.apk, but I can't seem to fix the bootloader dilemma.
23rd March 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 54

278 posts
More
The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
23rd March 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhall8

The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?
Last edited by impinball; 23rd March 2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: remove bad formatting
23rd March 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 467

1,284 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by impinball

Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?

As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th March 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong

As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.

I have done absolutely nothing beyond rooting it, installing Superuser & SuperSU (both through a script I can attach, but I'm on the wrong computer), and backed up a slew of apps.

This first begun when I modified the script to fix a bug in it (ash in JB 4.2 doesn't have a -f switch in rm, and the script had a 'rm -f'). If that bug didn't exist, then it would've still happened the first of several times (I attempted it about 4-5 times, but only the last caused this). The rm -f was actually doing effectively (with successful root privileges) 'rm -f /system/install-script-2.sh', but the script actually had another script to be put into it at the location /system/install-script.sh.
25th March 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 526

2,585 posts
???
Start by detailing steps in your 2nd paragraph.
Your boot is locked if it was never unlocked before you upgraded to ...79 or later
20th May 2014, 04:01 AM   |  #7  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhall8

The shame is, I never cared about unlocking the bootloader, as I prefer to stick to OTA's, but I do require root. So that's all I've ever done. I'm successfully rooted with the locked bootloader on 9.30.1, but it seems (at least as far as I've read on here) that I'm stuck there as I can't go anywhere else and maintain root. Would love kitkat, but root is essential.
20th May 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 86

243 posts
More
Um, you can unlock the bootloader and still stick to OTAs.

Being able to root at any time and use custom recovery is reason enough for me.
26th May 2014, 10:17 AM   |  #9  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killrhythm09

Um, you can unlock the bootloader and still stick to OTAs.

Being able to root at any time and use custom recovery is reason enough for me.

I in no way implied I was AVOIDING unlocking due to the desire to stay on OTA's - just that I had no reason to pursue unlocking. This is the first android device I've had that ended up with a sunset where you couldn't unlock it at pretty much any point, so i never had a fear of taking the OTA and losing something in the process. If i had expected that, I certainly would have unlocked prior to 9.30.1 being installed. I honestly have yet to figure out why they don't release a program that would allow unlocking the devices - I'm not sure the manufacture's fear of unlocked bootloaders and root, as any program they release would be loaded with disclaimers - and frankly, it would allow easy restorations to ANY firmware version by service staff at verizon/at&t.
27th May 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #10  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 475

1,424 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazifuzzy

I in no way implied I was AVOIDING unlocking due to the desire to stay on OTA's - just that I had no reason to pursue unlocking. This is the first android device I've had that ended up with a sunset where you couldn't unlock it at pretty much any point, so i never had a fear of taking the OTA and losing something in the process. If i had expected that, I certainly would have unlocked prior to 9.30.1 being installed. I honestly have yet to figure out why they don't release a program that would allow unlocking the devices - I'm not sure the manufacture's fear of unlocked bootloaders and root, as any program they release would be loaded with disclaimers - and frankly, it would allow easy restorations to ANY firmware version by service staff at verizon/at&t.

Talk to Verizon. They're the ones preventing the bootloader from being unlocked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread