Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 44,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dock not charging, tablet does (also through dock)

Tip us?

dagrim1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Default Dock not charging, tablet does (also through dock)

This has been going on for a while and hasnt bothered me too much, until now!

The thing is my dock hasn't been charging for quite a while, battery is stuck at 0%. The light is blinking orange when the tablet is docked in and/or the charger is connected. The tablet itself charges just fine, also through the dock.

I have already opened the dock, nothing strange. Battery appears fine (not swolen or anything) and nothing weird with the connection. I have been flipping the SW1001 swithc like crazy as well (even though by now I don;t remember the default anymore, open or closed... or what open or closed actually is. Even though on the backside of the PCB there is some 'open' print).

I have tried charging the dock (both seperately as with tablet docked in) with switch in both connections (for quite a few hours) but without luck. The led is blinking the same way, no matter how I put the switch.

Also tried flashing stock firmware again, no luck.

* Is there a way to test the dock battery? (Apart from switching the dock and tablet battery for example).

* Does anyone know what the default posittion of the SW1001 swithc is? (This is the switch on the right side of the left pcb inside the keyboard dock).

* Any other tricks getting the dock battery to charge again?

I have been thinking of ordering a new battery (or possibly entire dock, might be able to get one second handed) but would really like to have tried everything else first

da3dsoul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
To test the dock battery (or any battery), use a multimeter, find out what the voltage should be (I believe but don't hold me to it) that the dock and internal battery should be ~15v. Check on the internet (google, youtube, etc) for correct usage of a multimeter. If the battery is fine, you already have the multimeter in front of you, check the connections to the tablet from the battery.

If you don't know where to get a multimeter, (you probably shouldn't have opened the dock) you can get one at RadioShack, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Frys, decent gas stations, the internet. You get the idea: they're everywhere.

dagrim1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by da3dsoul View Post
To test the dock battery (or any battery), use a multimeter, find out what the voltage should be (I believe but don't hold me to it) that the dock and internal battery should be ~15v. Check on the internet (google, youtube, etc) for correct usage of a multimeter. If the battery is fine, you already have the multimeter in front of you, check the connections to the tablet from the battery.

If you don't know where to get a multimeter, (you probably shouldn't have opened the dock) you can get one at RadioShack, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Frys, decent gas stations, the internet. You get the idea: they're everywhere.
Cheers, I do have a multimeter so will indeed give that a try.

Not sure how to actually measure this battery:

but I'll see if I can find anything.

Also, perhaps I'll try swapping the battery from the tablet and dock as well anyway. Hard to tell if the battery is at fault or some other part (charging the battery).

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 559
As a last resort, because these batteries often won't charge up again if they drop to 0% would be to (safely) warm it up, might give it that 1% needed to kick start it

Used to put my pencil batteries on the hot radiator for an hour when they had run out, and normally got a little longer out of them until they cooled down

Not sure if that works with Li-Ion but wouldn't hurt

Ive had the 0% dead battery problem with the dock, but swapping between SW1001 switch positions every half hour eventually got it charging again
Droid: TF101
HW: B4O
ROM: KatKiss KitKat

KatKiss Dev / Stable
Kat Kernel
Kat App
Gapps
-----
EasyFlasher Root / Recovery
Peri Root/Recovery
-----

dagrim1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection* View Post
As a last resort, because these batteries often won't charge up again if they drop to 0% would be to (safely) warm it up, might give it that 1% needed to kick start it

Used to put my pencil batteries on the hot radiator for an hour when they had run out, and normally got a little longer out of them until they cooled down

Not sure if that works with Li-Ion but wouldn't hurt

Ive had the 0% dead battery problem with the dock, but swapping between SW1001 switch positions every half hour eventually got it charging again
Thanks for the tip, nice alternative for the 'putting it in the fridge' one, will certainly give that a try too. I actually closed the dock again, but guess I'll be popping it open again this evening hehe.

Do you happen to remember/recall what the proper position of the SW1001 switch was?

da3dsoul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hmmm...thanks Asus, that makes everything easier....Usually red and black are +/-, there appears to be text on the battery cables. Check to see if any have + out, - out, + discharge, etc, etc. You want to see if it will output any current, because if it does, it is not really 0%, just really low. If you find which ones are charging inputs, give it a (small) jolt of like 0.25v - 0.5v higher than what it asks for a couple minutes and then switch back to normal.

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrim1 View Post
Thanks for the tip, nice alternative for the 'putting it in the fridge' one, will certainly give that a try too. I actually closed the dock again, but guess I'll be popping it open again this evening hehe.

Do you happen to remember/recall what the proper position of the SW1001 switch was?
I can do one better - just remembered Id seen this a while back

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Keyb/?ALLSTEPS

Droid: TF101
HW: B4O
ROM: KatKiss KitKat

KatKiss Dev / Stable
Kat Kernel
Kat App
Gapps
-----
EasyFlasher Root / Recovery
Peri Root/Recovery
-----

magnus71
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Well, this how I solved the dock battery issue, it worked for me so maybe will work for somebody else.
I unwrapped the black plastic foil of the battery pack and checked the tensions, one of the two units was under 1.0 volt so I charged for some seconds enforcing from a charger.
I reassemble all and dock now is at 1% and charging ok.
Please be careful and be aware that a wrong or too much time can lead to explosion.