Ask a question

No registration required

Dropped Note 3

OP rkersh409

25th March 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
My wife said she dropped her week old Note 3 in the parking lot. She said when it hit the ground the battery came out and got run over by a car. The outer glass is still good and is not broken. The inner LCD/digitizer is completely destroyed. Also the back plate where the battery goes is cracked across the phone and the battery is shot. When you look down the side of the phone it looks bent ever so slightly. All I can get out of her is I just dropped it. Does not sound like it to me. When I put in my battery it will power on and I can hear the sounds like it powered up. But then it shuts back down. No display at all will show up.

Does it sound like there is more than just the LCD/Digitizer broken? I called Samsung repair and they said it would be $216 for the display but did not know if anything else would need replacing. Should I send it to Samsung or is it a total loss?
25th March 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 244

260 posts
Donate to Me
Its best to have the digitizer and LCD replaced, did you not get insurance?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app
25th March 2014, 08:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C13v3r0n3

Its best to have the digitizer and LCD replaced, did you not get insurance?

I hope for $216 it's for both LCD and digitizer. Yeah I got insurance through squartrade. Just don't know if Samsung will say it's BER. Or just send it to squaretrade for repair. Or take it locally in Houston. Would like to have original Samsung parts back in it though.
25th March 2014, 10:00 AM   |  #4  
Flag Malang, Indonesia
Thanks Meter: 37

161 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkersh409

My wife said she dropped her week old Note 3 in the parking lot. She said when it hit the ground the battery came out and got run over by a car. The outer glass is still good and is not broken. The inner LCD/digitizer is completely destroyed. Also the back plate where the battery goes is cracked across the phone and the battery is shot. When you look down the side of the phone it looks bent ever so slightly. All I can get out of her is I just dropped it. Does not sound like it to me. When I put in my battery it will power on and I can hear the sounds like it powered up. But then it shuts back down. No display at all will show up.

Does it sound like there is more than just the LCD/Digitizer broken? I called Samsung repair and they said it would be $216 for the display but did not know if anything else would need replacing. Should I send it to Samsung or is it a total loss?

Can u post pics of it sounds awesome experience. I think it will need more than just digitizer replacement if I were u I would consider it as total loss and put it in house as museum so everyone in the house will learn from it's experience.

Btw, what kind of protection that it had on accident ? no case at all ?
25th March 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,036

4,145 posts
More
Ouch! Story does sound a bit unlikely, indeed... You could try to claim it on contents insurance... just tell them it happened on your own property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlatifolia

Btw, what kind of protection that it had on accident ? no case at all ?

Out of curiosity, is there even a case that protects against being driven over by a car? And if so, where can I buy it?
25th March 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #6  
Flag Malang, Indonesia
Thanks Meter: 37

161 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

there even a case that protects against being driven over by a car? And if so, where can I buy it?

He said, the outer glass is in good condition but the iniside is broken, just curious how did that happened.
25th March 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlatifolia

He said, the outer glass is in good condition but the iniside is broken, just curious how did that happened.

I would like to know how that happened as well. If you look at the phone it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it. If you look at the display at an angle you can see a spider web of black lines where the LCD/digitizer is smashed.

It didn't have any protection since it was only a week old. The slim armor and Nillkin screen protector was on order and was in transit. Just a little too late.
25th March 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #8  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 578

4,474 posts
Mate, go with Squaretrade... Whats the point of having insurance then paying out a buttload of cash to fix it?
Would you, if you had an accident, go to your cars manufacturer to fix it and pay through your teeth or go through your car insurer?
25th March 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #9  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 750

3,279 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Out of curiosity, is there even a case that protects against being driven over by a car? And if so, where can I buy it?

Seen successful drive over tests for Griffon survivor and otterbox armor on YouTube. Was with the puny iPhone though and you can't get a genuine griffon for the note 3.

Depends on the speed of the car too I guess since force = mass x speed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 10:40 AM   |  #10  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,036

4,145 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.m0x

Seen successful drive over tests for Griffon survivor and otterbox armor on YouTube. Was with the puny iPhone though and you can't get a genuine griffon for the note 3.

Depends on the speed of the car too I guess since force = mass x speed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bother! I would've really liked such a case!

Considering there are harddrives you can run a tank over without causing damage, it should theoretically be possible to make such a case for a smartphone. While we're at it, bulletproof and waterproof would be nice too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread