Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 52,482 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Project - reskinning existing app (force closes)

Tip us?

uprightbass360
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default New Project - reskinning existing app (force closes)

Hey friendly xda people So I am in the beginning stages of a full on android addiction and decided I would start my first real project by attempting to re skin an existing app that is extremely well featured but lacking visually so I chose ... well I don't think I will say out of respect for the developer. But realistically I have many years experience using adobe products and am more than comfortable mucking around with pngs. So where I am at now is I have a good 80% of the assets re skinned and updated to a more kit kat like look and have verified that the dev has used no 9 pngs that I have accidentally edited, but this is where I am stuck. I have followed the walkthroughs to use apktool and signapk + zipallign to get the apk ready and have finished with the process. When I then go to load the apk on the phone I get the app to install, but then when it runs the app closes right after its splash screen. So I do understand that sight unseen it will be quite difficult to diagnose what problem I am having, but I'm learning and really would like some insight into some sort of trick/ tool or process that I could use to track down where my issue lies.

cascio97
Old
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uprightbass360 View Post
Hey friendly xda people So I am in the beginning stages of a full on android addiction and decided I would start my first real project by attempting to re skin an existing app that is extremely well featured but lacking visually so I chose ... well I don't think I will say out of respect for the developer. But realistically I have many years experience using adobe products and am more than comfortable mucking around with pngs. So where I am at now is I have a good 80% of the assets re skinned and updated to a more kit kat like look and have verified that the dev has used no 9 pngs that I have accidentally edited, but this is where I am stuck. I have followed the walkthroughs to use apktool and signapk + zipallign to get the apk ready and have finished with the process. When I then go to load the apk on the phone I get the app to install, but then when it runs the app closes right after its splash screen. So I do understand that sight unseen it will be quite difficult to diagnose what problem I am having, but I'm learning and really would like some insight into some sort of trick/ tool or process that I could use to track down where my issue lies.
From what I understood the app force closes because you edited the *.9.png, right? I suggest you to do exactly this process:

-Take a new APK of the app
-Rename to *.zip
-Open it with 7zip (DO NOT EXTRACT IT)
-Copy the new assets and res/layout pictures in the same folders of the 7zip opened APK
-Save it as a *.zip
-Rename it to *.apk
-Try to install and open it

Hope it helps
Hey man, press the THANKS btn if I helped!

Devices I have had:

LG Nexus 5 (current, AWESOME)
LG G Flex D958 (sold)
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305 (sold)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 (sold)
Google Nexus 5 D820 (sold)
Google Nexus 4 Mako (sold)
HTC One 801e (sold)
Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 (sold)
iPhone 5s (sold)
LG Optimus 7 E900 (sold)
LG Optimus One P500 (broken)