Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need Help! Tried rooting my Note 3 for the first time and now very inoperable

Tip us?

baileynapier
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Need Help! Tried rooting my Note 3 for the first time and now very inoperable

To start this off im going to say that i am very new to Android devices, ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc. Well i just tried to and didnt quite have much success.

I followed this guide and its steps very thoroughly. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559715

Yet it all ended with it booting up looking like new but nearly every 3 seconds errors appear about processes crashing and trying to stop, for example "Unfortunately, Direct pen input has stopped."

After that failure i went ahead and tried to undo it which probably wasnt a good idea, i followed this tutorial: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-unb...te-3-sm-n900a/.

I ended up at the exact same place, same error over and over. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

(I apologize if this had been brought up before i went searching but found nothing that was a solution to my problem.)

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileynapier View Post
To start this off im going to say that i am very new to Android devices, ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc. Well i just tried to and didnt quite have much success.

I followed this guide and its steps very thoroughly. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559715

Yet it all ended with it booting up looking like new but nearly every 3 seconds errors appear about processes crashing and trying to stop, for example "Unfortunately, Direct pen input has stopped."

After that failure i went ahead and tried to undo it which probably wasnt a good idea, i followed this tutorial: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-unb...te-3-sm-n900a/.

I ended up at the exact same place, same error over and over. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

(I apologize if this had been brought up before i went searching but found nothing that was a solution to my problem.)

Have you performed a factory data reset since the last attempt?
The Following User Says Thank You to 440bro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baileynapier
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro View Post
Have you performed a factory data reset since the last attempt?
Yes i have,a few times, it just then reboots with the setup and that error still occurring.

the2rrell
Old
Thanks Meter 608
Quote:
Yes i have,a few times, it just then reboots with the setup and that error still occurring.
That error is a bugger to get rid of, if you even can. i had this happen and had to return my device to the store. BUT that was before we had a working back to stock MJ5 solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559715

If you were on MJ5 this will get you back to out of the box stock with or without Root, its up to you.

i have used this twice and has worked smoothly both times, just make sure you download the files needed and follow the steps.
Sent from the VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!

graydiggy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2rrell View Post
That error is a bugger to get rid of, if you even can. i had this happen and had to return my device to the store. BUT that was before we had a working back to stock MJ5 solution.

If you were on MJ5 this will get you back to out of the box stock with or without Root, its up to you.

i have used this twice and has worked smoothly both times, just make sure you download the files needed and follow the steps.
That is the method OP used to get root....

OP, you should have used Kingo... Now you will have to redo that whole process just to restore back to stock. You had a bad flash or a bad download.

Sent from my SM-N9005A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lost in a paper bag again...
The Following User Says Thank You to graydiggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baileynapier
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 28248965 286a

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2rrell View Post

That was the method that originally got me into this situation and i just tried it again step by step and i am still having the issue.

One thing that has caught my eye is that this was my devices information before ever trying any rooting process or anything:

MODEL NUMBER: SAMSUNG-SN-N900A
ANDROID VERSION: 4.3 (Jelly Bean)
BASEBAND VERSION: N900AUCUBNB4
KERNEL INFO -
3.4.0-1625098
se.infra@R0301-01 #1
Mon Feb 10 21:13:28 KST 2014
BUILD NUMBER: JSS15J.N900AUCUBNB4
SELINUX STATUS: Enforcing

Is there any possible way to get it back to being a BNB4 device like the information above?

the2rrell
Old
Thanks Meter 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by graydiggy View Post
That is the method OP used to get root....

OP, you should have used Kingo... Now you will have to redo that whole process just to restore back to stock. You had a bad flash or a bad download.

Sent from my SM-N9005A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
tis the reason i directed him back to that thread. i know they are working on a easier odin flash to return to stock in another thread. dont know why he was using that to get root, but he will now need to use it to get booting back to normal again.

anyway, apologies for not being more clear.

so to sum it all up, redownload the files in case you got a bad one and repeat the process my good sir.
Sent from the VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to the2rrell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XiphoneUzer
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
ive owned my Note 3 (The AT&T SM-N900A one) for nearly three weeks now spending time researching on rooting and the methods, etc.

How did you NOT find Kingo right away?
What kind of research did you do for 3 weeks? lol
Well, I'm glad you're good to go now. The devs on this site are exceptional and you are lucky to have them. (me too).

dakrucial1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Re-download all the files and retry. Also, verify the size. I think you may have a corrupt file somewhere.

Rukbat
Old
Thanks Meter 41
And factory reset after installing a ROM, even if it's the same ROM you had. Any ROM, on any phone, not just this one. Different ROMs store data in different locations, and if a ROM picks up the data from a previous ROM, that may bot be the data it wants, so it causes things to crash.