Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,844 Members 50,835 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help! HTC rezound root

Tip us?
 
astbnboy001
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default [Q] Help! HTC rezound root

First thank you for reading this thread.
I successfully unlocked the bootloader but I'm have trouble with the permanent root of my phone.

I connect my phone via usb, I disable htc sync and set the phone to charge only
usb debugging is active

I run "rEZoundRoot-v1.5-TheDr1ver" option 1, the device reboots to flashboot
and it looks like the root works from the messages in the program works
the device reboots. I run the batch again and choose option 2, to permanently
install amon ra and I then create a full backup then I reboot.

but when I check for root its not rooted!!????
help please
 
REV3NT3CH
Old
#2  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1387
Posts: 1,971
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oroville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by astbnboy001 View Post
First thank you for reading this thread.
I successfully unlocked the bootloader but I'm have trouble with the permanent root of my phone.

I connect my phone via usb, I disable htc sync and set the phone to charge only
usb debugging is active

I run "rEZoundRoot-v1.5-TheDr1ver" option 1, the device reboots to flashboot
and it looks like the root works from the messages in the program works
the device reboots. I run the batch again and choose option 2, to permanently
install amon ra and I then create a full backup then I reboot.

but when I check for root its not rooted!!????
help please
easiest method especially if you s-on is fastboot flash amon ra and go to advanced options or developer options in it and flash its su and superuser and binaries thats built into the recovery...if you plan on staying on ics or lower roms amon ra and s-on is good for you...if you flash any rom higher i highly HIGHLY suggest gaining s-off and using a recovery like twrp or cwm as they have been updated here in the threads specifically for jellybean and kitkat where as amon ra hasnt....also updating to most recent stuff like radios and hboot and kitkat roms while s-on puts you in a much higher risk of a brick as you will not be able to downgrade to fix a soft brick just in case things get messed up on your end...its only possible to fix a soft brick while s-off
☢ LG G2 ☢
Rom: [4.4.4_r2] AICP 5.0 Kernel: Render Kernel R10 Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
☢ SGS Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.4] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.2 Kernel: B14CKB1RD v2.2 beta Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC ReZound ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23 radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
astbnboy001
Old
(Last edited by astbnboy001; 27th March 2014 at 10:48 AM.) Reason: more information
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default thanks for the answer

I don't know about or understand the s-on/s-off thing. how do I s-off??? As I read your reply again I can tell you that I did exactly that when I rebooted I ran "rEZoundRoot-v1.5-TheDr1ver" again in option 2, which gave me access into amon ra and I installed su and superuser at that time but still no root, can you tell me how to find out if I'm s-on or s-off. are you automatically s-on if you have done nothing to obtain s-off??
thank you for helping************** edit

I just booted my phone into fastboot and discovered I'm s-on
here is what I see

*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.25.000
RADIO-1.22.10.042r/1.22.10.0424r
OpenDSP-v13.6.0.7611.00.0104
eMMC-boot
Apr 12 2012, 16:47:46

*****************3rd edit
I was able to boot into amon ra untethered and I tried to reinstall or fix su it appeared to go well
I then went into the fix permissions menu and ran that app after which I rebooted and checked for root su was again denied!!! I'm so frustrated.
 
acejavelin
Old
#4  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 432
Posts: 1,479
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by astbnboy001 View Post
I don't know about or understand the s-on/s-off thing. how do I s-off??? As I read your reply again I can tell you that I did exactly that when I rebooted I ran "rEZoundRoot-v1.5-TheDr1ver" again in option 2, which gave me access into amon ra and I installed su and superuser at that time but still no root, can you tell me how to find out if I'm s-on or s-off. are you automatically s-on if you have done nothing to obtain s-off??
thank you for helping************** edit

I just booted my phone into fastboot and discovered I'm s-on
here is what I see

*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.25.000
RADIO-1.22.10.042r/1.22.10.0424r
OpenDSP-v13.6.0.7611.00.0104
eMMC-boot
Apr 12 2012, 16:47:46

*****************3rd edit
I was able to boot into amon ra untethered and I tried to reinstall or fix su it appeared to go well
I then went into the fix permissions menu and ran that app after which I rebooted and checked for root su was again denied!!! I'm so frustrated.
You appear to be running ICS firmware, did you read the notes and information on TheDr1ver.com about this method of rooting? I am assuming not, as this is for Gingerbread only, it will not work on ICS.

Proper rooting of the Rezound is actually VERY simple, no tool or all in one is needed, just proper drivers, adb, and an unlocked bootloader.

1. Install adb and fastboot (usually the ADB SDK from Google appropriate for your machine)
2. Install drivers (if not already installed, use HTC Sync, install then remove the application)
3. Go to HTCDev.com and follow through the unlock process
4. Boot and/or flash a recovery like Amon Ra/TWRP/CWM
5. Flash SuperSUxxx.zip in recovery
6. Reboot and go to the SuperSU app and update binaries if necessary

Done, permanent root. With ICS there is no real "one click" method of rooting, GB had some exploits that some scripts could temp root, then permanent root, but they don't work in ICS or are no longer supported.

Sorry, but you really should just to do it the manual way, there are tons of step-by-step tutorials on the various forums.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
astbnboy001
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
You appear to be running ICS firmware, did you read the notes and information on TheDr1ver.com about this method of rooting? I am assuming not, as this is for Gingerbread only, it will not work on ICS.

Proper rooting of the Rezound is actually VERY simple, no tool or all in one is needed, just proper drivers, adb, and an unlocked bootloader.

1. Install adb and fastboot (usually the ADB SDK from Google appropriate for your machine)
2. Install drivers (if not already installed, use HTC Sync, install then remove the application)
3. Go to HTCDev.com and follow through the unlock process
4. Boot and/or flash a recovery like Amon Ra/TWRP/CWM
5. Flash SuperSUxxx.zip in recovery
6. Reboot and go to the SuperSU app and update binaries if necessary

Done, permanent root. With ICS there is no real "one click" method of rooting, GB had some exploits that some scripts could temp root, then permanent root, but they don't work in ICS or are no longer supported.

Sorry, but you really should just to do it the manual way, there are tons of step-by-step tutorials on the various forums.
Ok i'm already able to flash into Amon Ra and within the Amon Ra recovery I have made a full backup and, under the "developer options"
tab I installed su. So since I'm apparently part rooted because I can flash into amon ra but there is a problem when attempting to install su from Amon Ra so I'll read some more because I don't want to brick my phone.
 
acejavelin
Old
(Last edited by acejavelin; 27th March 2014 at 06:38 PM.)
#6  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 432
Posts: 1,479
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by astbnboy001 View Post
Ok i'm already able to flash into Amon Ra and within the Amon Ra recovery I have made a full backup and, under the "developer options"
tab I installed su. So since I'm apparently part rooted because I can flash into amon ra but there is a problem when attempting to install su from Amon Ra so I'll read some more because I don't want to brick my phone.
OK, then do it manually...

1) Download UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.xx.zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu, where x.xx is the current version (1.94 at the time of this posting) and place it in the root of your external storage (SD Card)
2) Reboot and start Amon Ra
3) Install/Flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
4) Wipe cache and dalvik (do not wipe/format anything else)
5) Reboot (will take longer than normal, be patient)
6) Open SuperSU and update the binary (it will prompt you if it needs to)
7) Go to Settings tab and scroll down to SYSTEM section, and select "Install SuperSU into /system", if it is grayed out and you can't select it, then it is already there. Reboot immediately if prompted.
8) Open the Play Store and install BusyBox and Root Checker
9) Open BusyBox and grant it root permissions, after it goes through it's checks it should say something about "BusyBox xxxxx is installed. Busy Box is installed to /system/xbin", Select Busybox 1.22.1 will be installed to /system/xbin and click INSTALL at the bottom and allow it to finish, then close Busybox
10) Reboot
11) Open Root Checker and tab Verify Root, you should be good to go.

If this doesn't work, I would replace Amon Ra with TWRP or CWM and do it again.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
 
pball52998
Old
#7  
pball52998's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 123
Posts: 525
Join Date: Jan 2014
I would really suggest twrp... ....when I first rooted and installed twrp the first thing it asked me when on stock before I rebooted was right before I rebooted, would you like to install su? I swiped to flash rebooted checked and su was working perfectly.... I would suggest that..... Okay I know I'm probably not the right person to do this, but I'm thinking about making a root guide for the Rezound..... Taking everything that could go wrong and also putting that in there with a answer on what to do.....

Sent from my Rezound using tapatalk. CyanogenMod 11. S-off.
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Liquid Smooth 4.4.4 Nightlies, Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
Current Tablet
Sadly A iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n
 
Morpheus991
Old
#8  
Morpheus991's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 134
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball52998 View Post
I would really suggest twrp... ....when I first rooted and installed twrp the first thing it asked me when on stock before I rebooted was right before I rebooted, would you like to install su? I swiped to flash rebooted checked and su was working perfectly.... I would suggest that..... Okay I know I'm probably not the right person to do this, but I'm thinking about making a root guide for the Rezound..... Taking everything that could go wrong and also putting that in there with a answer on what to do.....

Sent from my Rezound using tapatalk. CyanogenMod 11. S-off.
I think that would be useful. I'm looking into finally rooting my current rezound and there's just so much info out there my brain can't process anymore. I used to know exactly how to do it but my brain has totally regressed and there are to many term/acronyms to hold onto in my brain. Also trying to figure out all of it will work on my mac booted into windows.
 
pball52998
Old
#9  
pball52998's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 123
Posts: 525
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus991 View Post
I think that would be useful. I'm looking into finally rooting my current rezound and there's just so much info out there my brain can't process anymore. I used to know exactly how to do it but my brain has totally regressed and there are to many term/acronyms to hold onto in my brain. Also trying to figure out all of it will work on my mac booted into windows.
PM me fellow mac user and rezound user...
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Liquid Smooth 4.4.4 Nightlies, Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
Current Tablet
Sadly A iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


How to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear Live Android Wear SmartWatch – XDA Developer TV

Do you want to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear … more

Get Your Special xda:devcon ’14 Hotel And Conference Rate While It Lasts

By now you’ve definitely heard about XDA’s … more

Google Chromecast Rootable Once Again!

Over the six months, theGoogle Chromecasthas gained a considerable amount of official functionality. … more

YAATA isn’t Just Another Android Texting App

Although our mobile devices today are capable of executingnearly every task we normally … more