Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more
Post Reply

The *toad roms

27th March 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
212 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?
27th March 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #2  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 2,185
 
2,226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy81

I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?

Because the official releases are posted in the CyanogenMod website under downloads>official devices...the device maintainer for cm on apexqtmo was also banned from xda

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app
27th March 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 232
 
260 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magamo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #4  
Nardholio's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 749
 
700 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magamo

Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.

XDA refuses to ban me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nardholio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th March 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #5  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 2,185
 
2,226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardholio

XDA refuses to ban me

i thought it was lbcoder....well thats what i was told anyway....grats on being a good maintainer Nard
28th March 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
hi
The difference between the original ROM and Kastvm
28th March 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
212 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magamo

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.

This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.
29th March 2014, 07:36 AM   |  #8  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 2,185
 
2,226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy81

This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As a very agreeable argument...the same could go for other great ROMs too and not just CyanogenMod..just takes developers to bring em to the device including CM...to each his own and that's why there is a variety to choose from

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S Relay 4G Q&A by ThreadRank