FORUMS

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

I/O Summary: Google Now on Tap

Google is all about organizing the world’s information to make it universally useful, and these … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
i am trying to install twrp through fast boot because i think that is the only way.

cd "android tools"
Harrys-MacBook-Pro:android tools HarryShowerman$ ./fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
error: cannot open 'openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img'


can any help me with this? thanks!
30th March 2014, 08:25 AM |#2  
santod040's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag NorCal
Thanks Meter: 17,041
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

i am trying to install twrp through fast boot because i think that is the only way.

cd "android tools"
Harrys-MacBook-Pro:android tools HarryShowerman$ ./fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
error: cannot open 'openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img'


can any help me with this? thanks!

Maybe this will help, Info Link

In other words, update your fastboot.
30th March 2014, 09:03 AM |#3  
nty123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santod040

Maybe this will help, Info Link

In other words, update your fastboot.

was not having much luck with the mac so i switched to my pc, can you tell me what file to place the .img in?
30th March 2014, 09:23 AM |#4  
nty123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

was not having much luck with the mac so i switched to my pc, can you tell me what file to place the .img in?

Reason for this?


C:\Users\David\Desktop\HTC_fastboot_files>fastboot flash boot openrecovery-twrp-
2.7.0.1-m7wlv.img
error: cannot load 'openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-m7wlv.img'
30th March 2014, 09:27 AM |#5  
Crawshayi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 290
 
More
I thought it's supposed to be 'fastboot flash recovery *.img'
30th March 2014, 09:53 AM |#6  
nty123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawshayi

I thought it's supposed to be 'fastboot flash recovery *.img'


tried that but still same thing. it as if when i connect my phone via usb it all the sudden "cannot open" because i tried the command without my phone plugged in and it said waiting for device. once i plugged it in it gave me "cannot open".
is there any other way to install a custom recovery without fast boot? or a computer?
31st March 2014, 08:21 AM |#7  
cmlusco's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 936
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

tried that but still same thing. it as if when i connect my phone via usb it all the sudden "cannot open" because i tried the command without my phone plugged in and it said waiting for device. once i plugged it in it gave me "cannot open".
is there any other way to install a custom recovery without fast boot? or a computer?

You could use a usb-otg cable and a usb drive to flash recovery as a PN07IMG.zip in hboot also. You can also flash firmware, ruu's, or any other system img that way. As long as your s-off that is.
31st March 2014, 02:59 PM |#8  
nty123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco

You could use a usb-otg cable and a usb drive to flash recovery as a PN07IMG.zip in hboot also. You can also flash firmware, ruu's, or any other system img that way. As long as your s-off that is.

Do I just rename the file .zip?
31st March 2014, 03:49 PM |#9  
Gizmoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane
Thanks Meter: 847
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

Do I just rename the file .zip?

What OS are you on?

The fastboot command is as follows and I usually just rename the image to recovery.img so that's what I wrote below but you can name it whatever you want.

Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Also you need to be in the same directory in cmd prompt. So if the file is in c:\platform-tools then in cmd prompt you should see.

c:\platform-tools>

If not type

cd c:\platform-tools

Or whatever directory you need to reach.
To make sure the file is there type dir and you will get a list of files within the directory you are in.

Other than that you may need to sort out your fastboot drivers especially if using Windows 8
Last edited by Gizmoe; 31st March 2014 at 03:52 PM.
31st March 2014, 04:09 PM |#10  
cmlusco's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 936
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123

Do I just rename the file .zip?

For ruu's and firmware yes you just rename it, but for .img files they need to be packed into a zip and named exactly PN07IMG.zip. The usb drive needs to be formated fat32, and the file placed on it in no folders. Then with the usb attatched, boot to hboot. After a few secs hboot should find the file automaticly and prompt you to wether you want to install it or not. Here is a pre zipped twrp 2.7.0.1 you can use http://vzw1files.dyndns.org/RECOVERI...1_RUU_Mode.zip
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes