Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO][UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER] Gain root, custom recovery, prep for modding on your S5

Tip us?

Ricky Divjakovski
Old
(Last edited by Ricky Divjakovski; 17th April 2014 at 06:06 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5254

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW TO][UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER] Gain root, custom recovery, prep for modding on your S5

Gaining root and recovery on your S5
Quote:
As you know, the S5 development community has been booming these last few days, turned out i found a guy with the device(@leoaudio13), so we were able to help gain root from CF and a working custom recovery from @PlayfulGod, in addition to these i made a version of my app to backup the EFS for this device and add support to my rom kitchen for this device.
So lets cut the crap.
This is an extremely easy procedure.
Recovery
Quote:
Step 1. Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC
Step 2. Download Odin 3.07 on your PC
Step 3. Download an ODIN flashable recovery onto your PC
Step 4. Open odin, click the PDA button, navigate to the recovery file(tar file) you just downloaded, MAKE SURE only F. Reset Time and Auto reboot are selected.
Step 5. Boot into download mode(hold the menu button, power button, and volume down button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
Step 6. When you see that odin detects your device(a colored indicator will turn on) click start
Root
Quote:
Follow this guide, its a universal root method by me. S5 Universal Root method
Backup device
Quote:
Step 1. Boot into recovery(hold the menu button, power button, and volume up button all together simultaneously until the device reboots)
Step 2. Select the backup button and confirm backup
Backup EFS
Quote:
Step 1. Download my app the Samsung Tool onto your device
Step 2. Install it as a normal app
Step 3. Open the app and grant root
Step 4. Select backup EFS, choose what storage to backup to, and start backup(will be in the storage of your choice in a folder called "SamsungTool")
CREDITS
Quote:
@leoaudio13 - Leaked device
@Chainfire - Root
@PlayfulGod - Being as his name states and building a working recovery
@ricky310711(me) - Samsung tool app and supporting S5 in my kitchen
Like my blog on facebook, add me to your circles, follow me on twitter or donate to me with paypal
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Ricky Divjakovski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ricky Divjakovski
Old
Thanks Meter 5254

DONATE TO ME
Reserved.
Like my blog on facebook, add me to your circles, follow me on twitter or donate to me with paypal

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 14
1) will this wipe the device?
2) does it work on all variants?

Ricky Divjakovski
Old
Thanks Meter 5254

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j View Post
1) will this wipe the device?
2) does it work on all variants?
it will not wipe the device, and please read the title, its only for G900F for now but will be updated soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricky Divjakovski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 446
Is the 900F the general international model?
On Kogan they stated their will be shipping the G900, not specifying any letter, so i am wondering what the differences are.

Ricky Divjakovski
Old
Thanks Meter 5254

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
Is the 900F the general international model?
On Kogan they stated their will be shipping the G900, not specifying any letter, so i am wondering what the differences are.
not sure if it will be the int' version, my guess is either g900f or g900d

DevolopeR
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky310711 View Post
it will not wipe the device, and please read the title, its only for G900F for now but will be updated soon!
Some poeple dont like to read

wireless_one
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've been watching this thread since the day I bought my S5, and am surprised that our amazing developers have not been able to find a work around to root the 900V. Just curious about whether the effort has been abandoned or if someone is chipping away at the armor that protects the locked bootloader. I have to assume someone has friends in high paces where maybe some insights can be shared? Truly surprised by this phenomenon as this is the first phone I've purchased where someone has not been able to root in in the first couple of weeks of its release. Has Samsung/VZW/at&t finally defeated us?
{{{{{{{{{{WirelessOne}}}}}}}}}}
Samsung Galaxy S5
Ugly, Stock, and Bloated

sorg
Old
Thanks Meter 568
I don't have S5 yet, but as potential buyer i have 2 questions for those who flashed custom recovery or kernel and rooted their S5:

1) Does fingerprint scanner function work with custom status and knox warranty void=0x1?

2) Do you see red message on top left corner of initial boot screen (something like KERNEL/RECOVERY SECURITY CHECK FAIL) if you flash custom kernel or recovery?
(With custom recovery you may see this message only when you boot into recovery).
Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E330S: Optimus ROM (TW 4.4.2) & Kernel. CPU OC 2.7GHz, GPU OC 645MHz, non-KNOX bootloader, UHD/SM/360 Camera.
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500: Optimus ROM (TW 4.3), Perseus Kernel. CPU No-OC, GPU OC 700MHz, non-KNOX bootloader.
Past models: Samsung Galaxy SIII SHV-E210K & GT-I9300, Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100.

Hobbes2099
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default SM-G900M also LA

Just unboxed my S5 for Mexico's Telcel carrier; G900M is for Vodafone and apparently Latin America (hence LA).
Can't find anything online about rooting this model.
Sony Z1 (C6906)
Rooted, 4.2.2, 14.1.G

Nexus 7 16GB (ME370T)
Paranoid Android 3.57
considering franco Kernel.