Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Disable Google Play Services and Google Services Framework for better battery/privacy

OP zack.1988

30th March 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24

42 posts
I disabled Google Play Services and Google Services Framework on my Moto G, because I don't need them and the Play Store (I sideload all my apps from the pc).

But there's a big problem: if I disable even one of them, and try to enable the geolocation, it only uses the option "high precision" and, worse then that, it makes all the android framework crash and reboot if I try to open any geolocation-using app (like Google Maps or the camera with geo-ON). Any hint to solve this issue? I really want to get rid of these services, for battery and privacy reasons (in particular, battery improvements are really noticeable!).

UPDATE: I don't get this bug UNLESS I reboot the phone. If I do, I get this issue. If I don't, Maps still works even with these services disabled. I'd like anyway to solve this problem so I don't have to make laborious procedures everytime the phone reboot (I already have to kill 5 motorola processes, i.e. Motocare and Motorola Services ones).
I've attached a pair of screens to clarify my situation. I'm on the STOCK and NO-ROOTED rom.

Thank you very much in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
Views:	226
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	2662192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
Views:	226
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	2662193  
Last edited by zack.1988; 1st April 2014 at 11:27 AM.
30th March 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 42

250 posts
More
So you do need Google services? But don't want to need them, my advice flash stock android ROM without using G-apps

Sent from Sauwny the TL
30th March 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durteedee

So you do need Google services? But don't want to need them, my advice flash stock android ROM without using G-apps

Sent from Sauwny the TL

No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me
Last edited by zack.1988; 30th March 2014 at 05:47 PM.
30th March 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

47 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack.1988

No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me

Basically, you're going to have to root and flash your phone. You can't remove Google services on stock.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
31st March 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 75

213 posts
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1715375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO GAPPS PROJECT THREAD

I am one of those who do they everyday work without google stuff and without gapps. I found out several problems:

Some apps do not install because of missing Google Maps API
Some apps fc at startup bacause of missing Maps API or market license check issues
Some apps hardcoded links to several Google Apps and therefor fc or react unexpectedly on certain cases.
No access to Play Store (i tried nearly every alternative market, but nothing is as good for free apps as play store) Meanwhile, F-Droid provides nearly everything you need

this thread may interest your needs
The Following User Says Thank You to SamsungAdmire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungAdmire

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1715375

this thread may interest your needs

Thank you for the intereeting link. Unluckily it regards mainly rooted devices... Pretty interesting though
30th March 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 42

250 posts
More
I basically meant stock and stripped like CM11 without Gapps

Sent from Sauwny the TL
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread