Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,097 Members 44,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Disable Google Play Services and Google Services Framework for better battery/privacy

Tip us?

zack.1988
Old
(Last edited by zack.1988; 1st April 2014 at 10:27 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Disable Google Play Services and Google Services Framework for better battery/privacy

I disabled Google Play Services and Google Services Framework on my Moto G, because I don't need them and the Play Store (I sideload all my apps from the pc).

But there's a big problem: if I disable even one of them, and try to enable the geolocation, it only uses the option "high precision" and, worse then that, it makes all the android framework crash and reboot if I try to open any geolocation-using app (like Google Maps or the camera with geo-ON). Any hint to solve this issue? I really want to get rid of these services, for battery and privacy reasons (in particular, battery improvements are really noticeable!).

UPDATE: I don't get this bug UNLESS I reboot the phone. If I do, I get this issue. If I don't, Maps still works even with these services disabled. I'd like anyway to solve this problem so I don't have to make laborious procedures everytime the phone reboot (I already have to kill 5 motorola processes, i.e. Motocare and Motorola Services ones).
I've attached a pair of screens to clarify my situation. I'm on the STOCK and NO-ROOTED rom.

Thank you very much in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-49-47.png
Views:	183
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	2662192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-01-10-50-15.png
Views:	178
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	2662193  

Durteedee
Old
Thanks Meter 35
So you do need Google services? But don't want to need them, my advice flash stock android ROM without using G-apps

Sent from Sauwny the TL
Using Tapatalk

zack.1988
Old
(Last edited by zack.1988; 30th March 2014 at 04:47 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durteedee View Post
So you do need Google services? But don't want to need them, my advice flash stock android ROM without using G-apps

Sent from Sauwny the TL
No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me

AstroBoy89
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack.1988 View Post
No, I'm on the stock android and not need them. But if I disable them, and I reboot the phone, all the geolocating app I use make the system crash, that's a weird behaviour. To convince yourself, you can disable both the services, restart the phone, open Google Maps and press the location button.

If I don't reboot the phone, instead, Google Maps continues to work even with this two services disabled... that's what confuses me
Basically, you're going to have to root and flash your phone. You can't remove Google services on stock.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

SamsungAdmire
Old
Thanks Meter 75
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1715375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO GAPPS PROJECT THREAD
I am one of those who do they everyday work without google stuff and without gapps. I found out several problems:

Some apps do not install because of missing Google Maps API
Some apps fc at startup bacause of missing Maps API or market license check issues
Some apps hardcoded links to several Google Apps and therefor fc or react unexpectedly on certain cases.
No access to Play Store (i tried nearly every alternative market, but nothing is as good for free apps as play store) Meanwhile, F-Droid provides nearly everything you need
this thread may interest your needs
The Following User Says Thank You to SamsungAdmire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zack.1988
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungAdmire View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1715375

this thread may interest your needs
Thank you for the intereeting link. Unluckily it regards mainly rooted devices... Pretty interesting though

Durteedee
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I basically meant stock and stripped like CM11 without Gapps

Sent from Sauwny the TL
Using Tapatalk