Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Google Now launcher --press home, then say "Ok Google".

OP AdamOutler

31st March 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 9,655

5,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey guys,
I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work". It takes specific versions of the apps to make this work and I located a combination that wiill do the job.

You will need:
  • Google Play Store installed
  • Google Search installed from Play Store.
  • A copy of ADB

Installation
  1. Un-tar.gz this file with whatever program you use for file compression, to a folder called "GoogleLauncher"
  2. Navigate to the "GoogleLauncher" folder,
  3. Using your copy of ADB, type "adb remount", then "adb push *.apk /system/app"
  4. Go to Settings>System>Accessibility>Quick Boot and disable Quick Boot
  5. Reboot your watch.

Conclusion
This worked for me. If you're having problems or you'd like this turned into an app you can download and press a button to perform the tasks above, let me know.
Last edited by AdamOutler; 31st March 2014 at 03:43 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #2  
Hopatcong
Thanks Meter: 55

592 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Hey guys,
I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work". It takes specific versions of the apps to make this work and I located a combination that wiill do the job.

You will need:

• Google Play Store installed
  • Google Search installed from Play Store.
  • A copy of ADB

Installation
  1. Un-tar.gz this file with whatever program you use for file compression, to a folder called "GoogleLauncher"
  2. Navigate to the "GoogleLauncher" folder,
  3. Using your copy of ADB, type "adb remount", then "adb push *.apk /system/app"
  4. Go to Settings>System>Accessibility>Quick Boot and disable Quick Boot
  5. Reboot your watch.

Conclusion
This worked for me. If you're having problems or you'd like this turned into an app you can download and press a button to perform the tasks above, let me know.

Would this work for the callisto 100? x201?
31st March 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Louisiana

5,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1113

Would this work for the callisto 100? x201?

Don't quote the OP in its entirety. Its a waste of space. It can also be confusing if the directions change.

It likely would.
31st March 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #4  
Hopatcong
Thanks Meter: 55

592 posts
Quote:

Don't quote the OP in its entirety. Its a waste of space. It can also be confusing if the directions change.

It likely would.

haha ok thanks. been using tasker to imitate the ok google command for now.
31st March 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #5  
Flag 2947'30"N 9843'50"W
Thanks Meter: 22

63 posts
More
Quote:

I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work".

On my S2, Google Now is both part of the Google Launcher and Google Search. For those of us running Loki's EnSec + Operative, does the Google Launcher below replace SmartLauncher as the home action? In other words, are we giving up SmartLauncher / WP8 Launcher / OUI2.0 to get Google Now?

Quote:

What about making it a flashable zip? Operative includes TWRP, so we should be able to flash system APKs.

Thanks!

--L.
1st April 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 11

137 posts
More
Or just download and install the apk?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...-apk-download/
2nd April 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Louisiana

5,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskru

Or just download and install the apk?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...-apk-download/

This doesnt work with just installing the APK. you get a toast stating that there is a problem.
2nd April 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #8  

137 posts
More
Quote:

This doesnt work with just installing the APK. you get a toast stating that there is a problem.

Probably dependent on also having the google search apk installed first, eh?
3rd April 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Louisiana

5,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskru

Probably dependent on also having the google search apk installed first, eh?

that's not it. something is missing from the system apps. I tried just installing them, it didn't work.
3rd April 2014, 12:32 AM   |  #10  

137 posts
More
Quote:

that's not it. something is missing from the system apps. I tried just installing them, it didn't work.

I remember when we were first trying to do it before Loki came out with the patch + operative we had to push services (velvet.apk) as a system app... Now, when you get the device and install Loki's patch (+operative I think) or Dees rom that has that stuff in it too you have the up to date velvet.apk as a system app. And, of course you need the search.apk too.

That's where I was coming from. If someone is going to try and push an apk as a system app, they may as well just run Loki's script instead. Thanks for sharing though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread