[Q] Downgrade MF3 to MDL?

31st March 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

65 posts
More
Hey all. I have an at&t GS4 running MF3. I remember when MF3 first came about how everyone was saying it will be impossible to downgrade this firmware. My question is has someone figured out a way to do it yet? I don't understand why this "qfuse?" would stop us from downgrading our devices. My main goal with a downgrade is to be able to install GPE KitKat. I currently have safestrap but i believe it is still limited by not being able to use roms that are not 4.2.2. Hope to get some help soon. Please don't be rude and thank you for your help.

Oh! Also if there is another way to run GPE KitKat on MF3 please let me know! Maybe safestrap can do that now! idk.

Again thanks for all the help.
31st March 2014, 06:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 161

379 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WezzleD

Hey all. I have an at&t GS4 running MF3. I remember when MF3 first came about how everyone was saying it will be impossible to downgrade this firmware. My question is has someone figured out a way to do it yet? I don't understand why this "qfuse?" would stop us from downgrading our devices. My main goal with a downgrade is to be able to install GPE KitKat. I currently have safestrap but i believe it is still limited by not being able to use roms that are not 4.2.2. Hope to get some help soon. Please don't be rude and thank you for your help.

Oh! Also if there is another way to run GPE KitKat on MF3 please let me know! Maybe safestrap can do that now! idk.

Again thanks for all the help.

There is no way yet to downgrade to a lower version with the locked bootloader. The fuse count is stored in the aboot and when flashing in download mode, it checks if the one being written has same or higher count. If not, it will fail the write and hence we wont be able to downgrade.

The locked bootloader puts the restriction on safestrap. We can only successfully boot a ROM that matches the base firmware version. This is because we cannot flash a kernel that doesnt match the bootloader. So, if you are on MF3, you can boot roms that are based on 4.2.2 only.
Last edited by jmjoyas; 31st March 2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: correction
31st March 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

65 posts
More
So basically no one has yet to find a way to boot anything higher than 4.2.2? That sucks :/ oh well then. Will just do gpe 4.2.2 with the Google home app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
31st March 2014, 11:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 236

272 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WezzleD

So basically no one has yet to find a way to boot anything higher than 4.2.2? That sucks :/ oh well then. Will just do gpe 4.2.2 with the Google home app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

I assume since your on MF3 that your in reference to running custom 4.2.2 ROM"s via Safestrap...

You can move up to running custom 4.3 ROM's if you update to the MK2 firmware and use the latest version of Safestrap. This is currently the best option for a non-MDL device. I suggest updating to MK2 and loading a 4.3 ROM like Hyperdrive.

Alternatively, you can upgrade to MK2 and use the Deadly Venom Kitkat Tool to run 4.4 ROM's...

I'd HIGHLY suggest reading this thread...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread