Keep Pictures and Files on the Cloud

OP fermasia

1st April 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 227

513 posts
I've tried searching for a thread concerning my question but couldn't find one. I'm really surprised nobody brought this up. Or my searching skills are really messed up... in which case, I excuse myself.

What I want to do is to make some room in my sdcard by automatically uploading pictures, videos and files (if possible) to my Google Drive (or any other Cloud Storage Service) and delete them locally. Basically, making my cloud drive a truly virtual drive.

Has anyone tried/achieved such a thing?

Thanks.
1st April 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 119

493 posts
Is this what you are looking for? Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396319024773.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2661782
The default photos app does that

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
1st April 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #3  
Flag Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks Meter: 166

554 posts
More
DropBox does this. Check it out. www.dropbox.com

It allows you to view your files from any device you choose.
Last edited by wolfen69; 1st April 2014 at 03:44 AM.
1st April 2014, 03:43 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Buenos Aires

513 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspreet997

Is this what you are looking for? Attachment 2661782
The default photos app does that

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

No, that way pics get backupped but won't be deleted locally (to free up space).
1st April 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #5  
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 72

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermasia

No, that way pics get backupped but won't be deleted locally (to free up space).

You're asking for functionality that is very hard to be implemented, even tho it sounds simple.
Basically there are no real viable ways to verify if a given file is not corrupted when uploaded to the cloud. At least not in a way that won't be creating singe huge overhead.

Anyway, if you find something that works, let us know, I'm also interested in such app/script/whatever.
2nd April 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Buenos Aires

513 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

You're asking for functionality that is very hard to be implemented, even tho it sounds simple.
Basically there are no real viable ways to verify if a given file is not corrupted when uploaded to the cloud. At least not in a way that won't be creating singe huge overhead.

Anyway, if you find something that works, let us know, I'm also interested in such app/script/whatever.

I think I've partially achieved the goal by using DropBox. Unlike Google Drive, files aren't deleted from the cloud when they are deleted locally. But I have to manually delete files from the phone, since I haven't found a way to delete on upload. And, thought, this just works for pictures and videos, not for other files, that would have to be uploaded manually too.

I know that even when sounding simple it's not that easy to accomplish... but I believe Google made the Moto G with such a small storage capacity (to reduce costs too, I understand) to be complete with cloud storage, so...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread