Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Some noob questions. :eek:

OP NiZii.

1st April 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #1  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Hello XDA community,

I've rooted my HTC One X+ like 2 months ago.
I still got the latest stock ROM but I want to put a custom ROM on it.

Which is this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987885

I still got some questions about it since it will be the first time flashing a ROM, because the thread isn't really clear to me so I hope someone can help me out with a little bit more detailed guide than mentioned in the ROM thread.

1. Do I have to wipe all my data?

2. Is a dalvik wipe really needed?
I contacted the developer of the ROM he said I didn't have to but when I asked more things about it he didn't reply.

3. How to flash a boot.img?
I can't find a really good tutorial on that.

4. What's the really right order to perform this flash mentioned in above linked thread?

I hope anyone of you can help me out since most of the threads I've seen around people are bitching about: you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you are doing blablabla.
Since I really want to learn something about it too.


Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 591
 
1,855 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

Hello XDA community,

I've rooted my HTC One X+ like 2 months ago.
I still got the latest stock ROM but I want to put a custom ROM on it.

Which is this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987885

I still got some questions about it since it will be the first time flashing a ROM, because the thread isn't really clear to me so I hope someone can help me out with a little bit more detailed guide than mentioned in the ROM thread.

1. Do I have to wipe all my data?

2. Is a dalvik wipe really needed?
I contacted the developer of the ROM he said I didn't have to but when I asked more things about it he didn't reply.

3. How to flash a boot.img?
I can't find a really good tutorial on that.

4. What's the really right order to perform this flash mentioned in above linked thread?

I hope anyone of you can help me out since most of the threads I've seen around people are bitching about: you shouldn't do it if you don't know what you are doing blablabla.
Since I really want to learn something about it too.


Sent from my HOX+

FULL WIPE is clearly recommended when you want to flash another rom. That means (/boot) /system /data /cache /dalvik. You can try it without a FULL WIPE but that will causes errors in most cases.

You need a working HTC USB cable

You need working adb/fastboot, download it from here

You need latest HTC drivers, download it from here

You need a GOOD custom recovery, download it from here

Additionally you need a flashable rom + boot.img

When you got all these we can proceed with flashing a rom
Last edited by LS.xD; 1st April 2014 at 02:43 PM.
1st April 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #3  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

FULL WIPE is clearly recommended when you want to flash another rom. That means (/boot) /system /data /cache /dalvik. You can try it without a FULL WIPE but that will causes errors in most cases.

You need a working HTC USB cable

You need working adb/fastboot, download it from here

You need latest HTC drivers, download it from here

You need a GOOD custom recovery, download it from here

Additionally you need a flashable rom + boot.img

When you got all these we can proceed with flashing a rom

Hello LS.xD,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not at home at the moment.
I will be in about 4.5 or 5 hours, so I will download everything then.
I got the recovery flashed already, so I can probably skip that.

My HTC drivers are probably outdated.
Since my HTC desktop programm had to update the last time I opened it.

And I downloaded the files of the ROM too.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #4  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
By the way LS.xD,

I got 'CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.2'. (That's what it says in the top when I am in recovery mode)

I got three wipe options:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache

These are all the wipes I got to perform AFTER installing the zip right? Because if you do it before you will wipe the zip file, is that right?

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #5  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 591
 
1,855 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

By the way LS.xD,

I got 'CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.2'. (That's what it says in the top when I am in recovery mode)

I got three wipe options:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache

These are all the wipes I got to perform AFTER installing the zip right? Because if you do it before you will wipe the zip file, is that right?

Sent from my HOX+

Its for a reason i recommended the recovery in my post. Pls install and THEN we can go on

and NO you first perform the wipe and then install a rom.

and pls uninstall HTC sync before using fastboot to flash boot.img as it will cause errors if you have htc sync installed.
Last edited by LS.xD; 1st April 2014 at 04:31 PM.
1st April 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #6  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

Its for a reason i recommended the recovery in my post. Pls install and THEN we can go on

and NO you first perform the wipe and then install a rom.

and pls uninstall HTC sync before using fastboot to flash boot.img as it will cause errors if you have htc sync installed.

Okay I will do that when I am home. Thanks for the patience with me and all the help, nobody was replying in other threads so I really appreciate all your help.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #7  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
One more question, what is a safe spot to put the ROM zip file on? So it doesn't get wiped? (HOX+ doesn't have a SD slot, just 64GB internal)

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #8  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 591
 
1,855 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

One more question, what is a safe spot to put the ROM zip file on? So it doesn't get wiped? (HOX+ doesn't have a SD slot, just 64GB internal)

Sent from my HOX+


Thats totally safe as long as you dont WIPE or FORMAT /sdcard LOL
1st April 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #9  
NiZii.'s Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Probably a dumb question, but if you do a factory reset your music and pictures will be deleted, why doesn't the zip file be deleted? I will test it at home though. Factory reset, put the zip file on it, then factory reset again in recovery and look if the zip file still exists on my phone.

Sent from my HOX+
1st April 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #10  
LS.xD's Avatar
Senior Member
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 591
 
1,855 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiZii.

Probably a dumb question, but if you do a factory reset your music and pictures will be deleted, why doesn't the zip file be deleted? I will test it at home though. Factory reset, put the zip file on it, then factory reset again in recovery and look if the zip file still exists on my phone.

Sent from my HOX+


MAN be patient pls. Install the recovery i suggested. Then everything will be clear and safe once you opened it. DONT perform factory reset / clear storage in bootloader mode!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes