Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 46,508 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Where is the File Manager?

Tip us?

UberSlackr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] Where is the File Manager?

Am I missing something? or is there no preinstalled File Manager?

Preinstalled apps, and google apps are the only apps allowed to write/edit to the miceSD card, so why wouldn't HTC install one?
Already regretting getting this phone, since I download a Lot of work files via my phone, and now I'm unable to move them from the downloads folder to the proper folder on the microSD.
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr

jonny68
Old
Thanks Meter 571
Just downloaded one from Google play, loads to choose from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
HTC One M8
Motorola Moto G
Nexus 7 32GB

UberSlackr
Old
(Last edited by UberSlackr; 2nd April 2014 at 01:49 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68 View Post
Just downloaded one from Google play, loads to choose from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The ones I've installed won't let me delete files or move anything to them...
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSlackr View Post
Am I missing something? or is there no preinstalled File Manager?

Preinstalled apps, and google apps are the only apps allowed to write/edit to the miceSD card, so why wouldn't HTC install one?
Already regretting getting this phone, since I download a Lot of work files via my phone, and now I'm unable to move them from the downloads folder to the proper folder on the microSD.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.pop&hl=en_GB
this is the best one on the market never use stock file mangers always this one

UberSlackr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
Will try... Thanks for the suggestion.
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:

UberSlackr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
Well I tried it, but that app, just like all the other ones on the play store do not let you move files from the phone memory to the microSD.
It won't let you Delete anything either...
All you can do is view the microSD. No writes can be made to it.

Android 4.4 won't let the apps do that anymore. (Unless rooted)
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2882
Quote:
Android 4.4 won't let the apps do that anymore. (Unless rooted)
Then no other File Manager can do it either (without root). Can you delete files when connected to a PC?
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required)

UberSlackr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Then no other File Manager can do it either (without root). Can you delete files when connected to a PC?
Yes the files on the microSD can be altered via the PC. But apps like airDroid won't work anymore.

Working all the go, I don't have time to stop to plug the phone up to the computer every time I need to move/rename/delete a file.
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:

skyline23
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Yes the files on the microSD can be altered via the PC. But apps like airDroid won't work anymore.

Working all the go, I don't have time to stop to plug the phone up to the computer every time I need to move/rename/delete a file.
same boat here. I copy via USB2go all the time on my Note 3, and this is crippled for the M8. There's a work around, but you need to unlock the boot loader first, which for me is a pain, since it will reset the phone. I'm pretty OCD and it takes me some time to set everything up the way I like it. At this point, i'm just doing the PC transfer thing.

clax6
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Upload the files to Google drive and then download to your memory card?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app