Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,397 Members 46,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] verizon s4 sch-i545 flashing or unlocking to use on straight talk

Tip us?

robquillan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] verizon s4 sch-i545 flashing or unlocking to use on straight talk

Hello, I am new to xda this is my first post so I hope I put it in the right place.
I bought an s4 from a private seller assuming that because it wa a verizon and that means cdma where I live , that I would be able to activate it as a cdma straight talk phone with the activation kit from straight talk ,
I tried but it when I get to the part of the ctivation were it askes for my sim card to be put in the phone ........I get lost because I thought cdma Verizon required no sim,
so I think this means that they want to activate my phone as a gsm phone ...... this wont get any service in my area I need cdma.

so I went and had my phone flashed ....with a donor phone and it works but I hate it the pic messaging is all screwed up ....I just want a stock feel and not to have to you third party apps to txt

BIG question.. is it possible to reflash my phone back to stock and activate it the right way? if not are there any s4's that straight talk will accept under the cdma ?
I know this is a mess but any input would be great thanks in advance

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by robquillan View Post
Hello, I am new to xda this is my first post so I hope I put it in the right place.
I bought an s4 from a private seller assuming that because it wa a verizon and that means cdma where I live , that I would be able to activate it as a cdma straight talk phone with the activation kit from straight talk ,
I tried but it when I get to the part of the ctivation were it askes for my sim card to be put in the phone ........I get lost because I thought cdma Verizon required no sim,
so I think this means that they want to activate my phone as a gsm phone ...... this wont get any service in my area I need cdma.

so I went and had my phone flashed ....with a donor phone and it works but I hate it the pic messaging is all screwed up ....I just want a stock feel and not to have to you third party apps to txt

BIG question.. is it possible to reflash my phone back to stock and activate it the right way? if not are there any s4's that straight talk will accept under the cdma ?
Don't know about flashing CDMA, but have you checked your APN settings?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2672843

That's about using GSM, but using those APN settings may fix your pic messaging issue.

robquillan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oishikatta View Post
Don't know about flashing CDMA, but have you checked your APN settings?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2672843

That's about using GSM, but using those APN settings may fix your pic messaging issue.
Well since all of that is for the gsm version I dont think it would help honestlly I'm about to toss this s4 in the trash ...

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 177
The Verizon s4 can be used for straight talk gsm. It is unlocked out of the box. Just put in a straight talk sim t mobile or att compatible and set your apn and everything should work perfectly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If I have helped please hit the thanks button!
------------------------------------------------------
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Rom: [ROM] Eclipse S4 TW - v4.0.2 (6/25/14) - Real AOSP styling!! KitKat has arrived!!!
Recovery: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71/v3.72 [2014-04-02 KK Beta]
Bootloader: MJ7

bikoman1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
yep>>>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2672843

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,549

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

First, what model phone do you actually have? The Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-i545) is in fact a CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, which does have a SIM.
It sounds like you should re-flash the factory ROM. Perhaps the easiest way to do that is to plug it in and use the Verizon Recovery Assistant. Or, use Samsung Kies to re-flash it - those will WIPE your phone, however.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

robquillan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default no gsm has to be cdma

ok thankyou to all... here is the problem I got a cdma phone because were I live cdma is all that works no t-mobile - no att and sprint is also bad

only cdma versions of tracfone , straight talk, and verizon work well here.

my phone is the verizon cdma phone

but i'm only interested in activating it under cdma not gsm

Straight talk has a s3 that runs on the cdma here some friends have it

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,549

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
ok thankyou to all... here is the problem I got a cdma phone because were I live cdma is all that works no t-mobile - no att and sprint is also bad

only cdma versions of tracfone , straight talk, and verizon work well here.

my phone is the verizon cdma phone

but i'm only interested in activating it under cdma not gsm

Straight talk has a s3 that runs on the cdma here some friends have it
OK, so if you're using a Verizon Galaxy S4, which supports the following bands: (see here)

LTE: Bands 4/13;
CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz;
HSPA+/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100MHz;
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

All you should have to do is to read out the ESN and activate it if your carrier is on 800/1900 MHz CDMA.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

swordmastr54
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I also am interested in doing this, I have talked to Walmart and straight talk as well and they both say the same if its true or not I'm not sure but they said that all you need is the sim kit and set the right apn , and yes we do have a sim in this phone so I would guess you will need it.