Post Reply

SM-G900 ?

OP mocsab

2nd April 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #1  
mocsab's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 674
 
2,458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Factory Outlet Store is selling the S5 and has models in stock right now. Pricing is a little high compared to what it will cost from TMOBILE or ATT - $799 - but they are unlocked and will ship in two days.

What seems odd to me is that they say the model is SM-G900 and don't mention a letter at the end? The sales floor at their site doesn't know but I guess it will be printed on the box if anyone buys it from them,.

What I am not certain about is how universal the International Versions will be - I assume they will all be very similar - but any difference in file structure could potentially lead to a brick -

I have never considered buying an international phone in the US before - has anyone here got any experience they can share good or bad with other phones?


*(Edited this after realizing the stupidity of my original question - I can really be a noob sometimes...)
Last edited by mocsab; 2nd April 2014 at 07:44 PM.
3rd April 2014, 01:42 AM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 473
 
1,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
I agree with you in regards to the model number.
On websites like kogan and mobicity for me, in Australia, they don't even say SM G900. they just say Galaxy S5 LTE Model.
I think the model codes will become much clearer once the device is officially on sale. This is one of the reasons why i am slightly afraid to buy now, because i might buy a slightly less popular model with less dev support.

EDIT: sorry, i completely derped out, but i also meant to say that it is not clear exactly which model is the international model, so you should just wait out a little longer.
Last edited by Hellscythe; 3rd April 2014 at 01:48 AM.
3rd April 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #3  
mocsab's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 674
 
2,458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

I agree with you in regards to the model number.
On websites like kogan and mobicity for me, in Australia, they don't even say SM G900. they just say Galaxy S5 LTE Model.
I think the model codes will become much clearer once the device is officially on sale. This is one of the reasons why i am slightly afraid to buy now, because i might buy a slightly less popular model with less dev support.

EDIT: sorry, i completely derped out, but i also meant to say that it is not clear exactly which model is the international model, so you should just wait out a little longer.

Well, a little more research seems to indicate that the European Internation Version is SM-G900H - and from what I have been able to see - that is the model number offered by several web sites that are selling it and shipping now.


Something else ODD that I have seen - Most of these sites - EVEN SAMSUNG - lists the S5 as only having up to 64GB of MicroSD Storage. I checked the Samsung site tonight to see if there were differnt models with different micro sd sizes - and I was very surprised to see that Samsung had the phone listed as having up to 64 GB micro SD - where all the materials I have seen up to this point has said it has up to 128 GB.

I wonder is it possible that Samsung Changed their mind and did 128 after they released the original material or will different versions of the phone offer different amounts of Micro SD Storage? very ODD -
3rd April 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 473
 
1,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab

Well, a little more research seems to indicate that the European Internation Version is SM-G900H - and from what I have been able to see - that is the model number offered by several web sites that are selling it and shipping now.


Something else ODD that I have seen - Most of these sites - EVEN SAMSUNG - lists the S5 as only having up to 64GB of MicroSD Storage. I checked the Samsung site tonight to see if there were differnt models with different micro sd sizes - and I was very surprised to see that Samsung had the phone listed as having up to 64 GB micro SD - where all the materials I have seen up to this point has said it has up to 128 GB.

I wonder is it possible that Samsung Changed their mind and did 128 after they released the original material or will different versions of the phone offer different amounts of Micro SD Storage? very ODD -

Sorry, what do you mean by European Internation Version? Do you mean the european version?
and yes, indeed that is very odd regarding the micro sd, but hopefull information becomes clearer at release
3rd April 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #5  
mocsab's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 674
 
2,458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

Sorry, what do you mean by European Internation Version? Do you mean the european version?
and yes, indeed that is very odd regarding the micro sd, but hopefull information becomes clearer at release

Yes, that is what I meant - actually, I should have said "western european" version - but then I am just making some assumptions based on what I have read on a number of different web sites - from Sammy mobile - to Samsung - to various Online Electtroics sites to Amazon.com and so on -

Patience is not one of my best virtues - but I will have to bide my tme and wait. I have a preorder for a TMOBILE phone but I got a feeling I am going to be sending it back - from everything I have read it appears more and more that TMOBILE has locked the bootloader on the S5 - I obviosly hope that is not the case - but time will tell....
3rd April 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 473
 
1,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab

Yes, that is what I meant - actually, I should have said "western european" version - but then I am just making some assumptions based on what I have read on a number of different web sites - from Sammy mobile - to Samsung - to various Online Electtroics sites to Amazon.com and so on -

Patience is not one of my best virtues - but I will have to bide my tme and wait. I have a preorder for a TMOBILE phone but I got a feeling I am going to be sending it back - from everything I have read it appears more and more that TMOBILE has locked the bootloader on the S5 - I obviosly hope that is not the case - but time will tell....

it is almost certain that carrier branded versions will have a locked bootloader.
for the xperia z at least, bootloader unlocking is not possible for the t mobile versions. they don't even allow you to unlock it.
so you just have to watch out for that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank