Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 52,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SM-G900 ?

Tip us?

mocsab
Old
(Last edited by mocsab; 2nd April 2014 at 07:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 607
Default SM-G900 ?

Factory Outlet Store is selling the S5 and has models in stock right now. Pricing is a little high compared to what it will cost from TMOBILE or ATT - $799 - but they are unlocked and will ship in two days.

What seems odd to me is that they say the model is SM-G900 and don't mention a letter at the end? The sales floor at their site doesn't know but I guess it will be printed on the box if anyone buys it from them,.

What I am not certain about is how universal the International Versions will be - I assume they will all be very similar - but any difference in file structure could potentially lead to a brick -

I have never considered buying an international phone in the US before - has anyone here got any experience they can share good or bad with other phones?

*(Edited this after realizing the stupidity of my original question - I can really be a noob sometimes...)
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Rom: - X-Note TMT v.5 | Alliance 4.1
My Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: KT-SGS5 - NF6 - KTweaker
My Carrier - ATT

Former Devices: ☆Galaxy Note 3☆HTC ONE☆Galaxy S IV☆Galaxy Note II☆Galaxy S3☆EVO 4g LTE☆Nexus☆Epic 4G☆Treo(W)☆Palm Treo☆(P)

Hellscythe
Old
(Last edited by Hellscythe; 3rd April 2014 at 01:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 444
I agree with you in regards to the model number.
On websites like kogan and mobicity for me, in Australia, they don't even say SM G900. they just say Galaxy S5 LTE Model.
I think the model codes will become much clearer once the device is officially on sale. This is one of the reasons why i am slightly afraid to buy now, because i might buy a slightly less popular model with less dev support.

EDIT: sorry, i completely derped out, but i also meant to say that it is not clear exactly which model is the international model, so you should just wait out a little longer.

mocsab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
I agree with you in regards to the model number.
On websites like kogan and mobicity for me, in Australia, they don't even say SM G900. they just say Galaxy S5 LTE Model.
I think the model codes will become much clearer once the device is officially on sale. This is one of the reasons why i am slightly afraid to buy now, because i might buy a slightly less popular model with less dev support.

EDIT: sorry, i completely derped out, but i also meant to say that it is not clear exactly which model is the international model, so you should just wait out a little longer.
Well, a little more research seems to indicate that the European Internation Version is SM-G900H - and from what I have been able to see - that is the model number offered by several web sites that are selling it and shipping now.

Something else ODD that I have seen - Most of these sites - EVEN SAMSUNG - lists the S5 as only having up to 64GB of MicroSD Storage. I checked the Samsung site tonight to see if there were differnt models with different micro sd sizes - and I was very surprised to see that Samsung had the phone listed as having up to 64 GB micro SD - where all the materials I have seen up to this point has said it has up to 128 GB.

I wonder is it possible that Samsung Changed their mind and did 128 after they released the original material or will different versions of the phone offer different amounts of Micro SD Storage? very ODD -
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Carrier - ATT

Former Devices: ☆Galaxy Note 3☆HTC ONE☆Galaxy S IV☆Galaxy Note II☆Galaxy S3☆EVO 4g LTE☆Nexus☆Epic 4G☆Treo(W)☆Palm Treo☆(P)

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab View Post
Well, a little more research seems to indicate that the European Internation Version is SM-G900H - and from what I have been able to see - that is the model number offered by several web sites that are selling it and shipping now.

Something else ODD that I have seen - Most of these sites - EVEN SAMSUNG - lists the S5 as only having up to 64GB of MicroSD Storage. I checked the Samsung site tonight to see if there were differnt models with different micro sd sizes - and I was very surprised to see that Samsung had the phone listed as having up to 64 GB micro SD - where all the materials I have seen up to this point has said it has up to 128 GB.

I wonder is it possible that Samsung Changed their mind and did 128 after they released the original material or will different versions of the phone offer different amounts of Micro SD Storage? very ODD -
Sorry, what do you mean by European Internation Version? Do you mean the european version?
and yes, indeed that is very odd regarding the micro sd, but hopefull information becomes clearer at release

mocsab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
Sorry, what do you mean by European Internation Version? Do you mean the european version?
and yes, indeed that is very odd regarding the micro sd, but hopefull information becomes clearer at release
Yes, that is what I meant - actually, I should have said "western european" version - but then I am just making some assumptions based on what I have read on a number of different web sites - from Sammy mobile - to Samsung - to various Online Electtroics sites to Amazon.com and so on -

Patience is not one of my best virtues - but I will have to bide my tme and wait. I have a preorder for a TMOBILE phone but I got a feeling I am going to be sending it back - from everything I have read it appears more and more that TMOBILE has locked the bootloader on the S5 - I obviosly hope that is not the case - but time will tell....
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Carrier - ATT

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab View Post
Yes, that is what I meant - actually, I should have said "western european" version - but then I am just making some assumptions based on what I have read on a number of different web sites - from Sammy mobile - to Samsung - to various Online Electtroics sites to Amazon.com and so on -

Patience is not one of my best virtues - but I will have to bide my tme and wait. I have a preorder for a TMOBILE phone but I got a feeling I am going to be sending it back - from everything I have read it appears more and more that TMOBILE has locked the bootloader on the S5 - I obviosly hope that is not the case - but time will tell....
it is almost certain that carrier branded versions will have a locked bootloader.
for the xperia z at least, bootloader unlocking is not possible for the t mobile versions. they don't even allow you to unlock it.
so you just have to watch out for that.