Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] HTC One M8 GPE won't boot to custom recovery

OP scbash

5th April 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Hi all-

I just received my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition today. I successfully unlocked the bootloader (I see the open padlock every time it boots), but I'm running into trouble with TWRP. I downloaded TWRP 2.7.0.3 from this thread. Since I'd like to get OTA updates in the future, I am attempting to boot (not flash!) TWRP using
Code:
$ ./adb reboot bootloader
$ ./fastboot boot ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-m8_ul_ca.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.251s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 1.252s
$
but after the second command, the phone just reboots to the normal system. I have attempted renaming TWRP to recovery.img, but that didn't change the behavior. I have tried a factory reset, and that didn't change the behavior. If I attempt to manually enter recovery from HBoot, I get the dead android logo.

I really just want to flash SuperSU.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen
5th April 2014, 05:21 AM   |  #2  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 341

1,865 posts
More
TWRP doesn't work on GPe for some reason. Use Philz CWM.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
5th April 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Boston

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikerz

TWRP doesn't work on GPe for some reason. Use Philz CWM.

I wondered about that, but for some reason I didn't find the Philz m8 thread until you mentioned it. So I downloaded CWM from this thread and had the exact same experience...

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Stephen
6th April 2014, 03:11 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Boston

11 posts
More
A little concerned that I wasn't able to boot either TWRP or CWM, and (while I don't think I'd flashed anything) just going into HBoot and selecting recovery also didn't work (dead Android icon), I grabbed the 4.4.2 firmware from here and flashed the stock recovery.

After flashing the stock recovery I had the *TAMPERED* label in HBoot (which surprised me a little because I assumed stock would 100% match what was already there). Now if I selected Recovery from HBoot I would get a temporary flash of "This image is for development use only (etc.)..." and then end up back in HBoot. I tried once or twice more to just boot CWM and still no luck. So finally I flashed CWM, installed SuperSU, and then flashed back to stock. I guess I'll find out when the first OTA rolls around if the system is still "stock" enough.

Thanks,
Stephen
6th April 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #5  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 41

130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbash

Hi all-

I just received my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition today. I successfully unlocked the bootloader (I see the open padlock every time it boots), but I'm running into trouble with TWRP. I downloaded TWRP 2.7.0.3 from this thread. Since I'd like to get OTA updates in the future, I am attempting to boot (not flash!) TWRP using

Code:
$ ./adb reboot bootloader
$ ./fastboot boot ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.3-m8_ul_ca.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.251s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 1.252s
$
but after the second command, the phone just reboots to the normal system. I have attempted renaming TWRP to recovery.img, but that didn't change the behavior. I have tried a factory reset, and that didn't change the behavior. If I attempt to manually enter recovery from HBoot, I get the dead android logo.

I really just want to flash SuperSU.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen

I might be wrong, but isn't the command "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" whereas "recovery.img" would be the path to the recovery you want to boot to without flashing? If I'm not mistaken, "fastboot boot" would boot the phone up to the system.
6th April 2014, 04:00 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Boston

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtrukr425

I might be wrong, but isn't the command "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" whereas "recovery.img" would be the path to the recovery you want to boot to without flashing? If I'm not mistaken, "fastboot boot" would boot the phone up to the system.

When I did it with my wife's Nexus 5, it was "fastboot boot <image>" (and there it worked without a hitch). In the middle of other things last night I did try that and got "no such file: recovery". So I'm still open to user error, but at least that particular change didn't fix my problem...

Thanks,
Stephen
6th April 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #7  
Flag midland
Thanks Meter: 57

338 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

When I did it with my wife's Nexus 5, it was "fastboot boot <image>" (and there it worked without a hitch). In the middle of other things last night I did try that and got "no such file: recovery". So I'm still open to user error, but at least that particular change didn't fix my problem...

Thanks,
Stephen

download the stock revovery listed here (in development).install cwm, root, and redo your stock recovery via fastboot
6th April 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Boston

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbouza1

download the stock revovery listed here (in development).install cwm, root, and redo your stock recovery via fastboot

Yup, that's what I ended up doing earlier this afternoon. Thanks though.

Stephen
7th April 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #9  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 41

130 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks,
Stephen

Yep, found out I was wrong when I went to do it myself. After some research, it seems the code used to include the extra "recovery", but no longer does.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th April 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 15

162 posts
Thus may be a dumb question but how do we root the gpe edition. I tried with weak sauce but it failed. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread