- make sure phone is rooted and you have safstrap installed.
- prevent you phone from updating itself as shown in the root guide in this forum.
- get a copy of the tethering provisioning apk from a custom rom. One that worked for me is attached to this thread.
- put the custom tetherprovisiong apk on an external sim card for access. boot into safestrap and make sure stock rom is selected.
- mount filesystem then open up safestaps file explorer and delete tetherprovisioning apd and tetherprovisioning odex from system/apps folder. Confirm that it is deleted.
- Now paste the custom tetherprovisioning.apk into the same system/apps folder. Reboot phone into stock, rooted rom and enjoy wifi tether.
- You should now be able to turn off and on with the normal method.
My phone: SGH-i537
Android version 4.3
Rooted W/ Safestrap 3.71 installed