FORUMS

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:
  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?
7th April 2014, 12:29 AM |#2  
Mike02z's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Holland, PA/Lake Ariel, PA
Thanks Meter: 355
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854

I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:

  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?

I would never take an OTA but I don't think it can change your status back to S-On

Just Google "S-Off Explained" but here is in xda link on the subject---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=1

I also advise if you're new at this to read all you can before flashing anything. You can brick your device more easily with Security Off.
7th April 2014, 12:31 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 301
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854

I have been around Android since the OG droid and have rooted all of my phones, but S-Off is new to me. I understand that S-Off allows everything else (unlock/root). I also know that historically when you are rooted you don't want to take OTA updates.

My questions are:

  • Does S-Off prevent you from taking OTAs?
  • Can OTAs change S-Off status?
  • Are there any self-contained resources explaining S-Off that I could read to be less dumb about it?

s-off by itself wont, OTA afaik won't touch s-off status. It requires stock recovery though, you are honestly better off just waiting for custom roms to come out with these changes. S-off literally means the phone does not care what you do to it anymore.
7th April 2014, 12:56 AM |#4  
schnob's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bozeman
Thanks Meter: 111
 
More
Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater
Last edited by schnob; 7th April 2014 at 01:03 AM.
7th April 2014, 01:13 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnob

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread but:
Another noob so S-Off and HTC devices here: When I try to push firewater I get this: cannot stat 'firewater' : No such file or directory. If su is required for this step why is this step listed before su?
adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater

put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp
The Following User Says Thank You to mopperx2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 01:22 AM |#6  
BladeRunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 249
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopperx2

put firewater in your adb directory or add the path to the command adb wait-for-device push C:\users\username\Downloads\firewater /data/local/tmp

You also either need to rename your downloaded file to firewater or type the entire file name

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th April 2014, 01:28 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
anyone have time to walk me through this on the phone pm me , i have sdk installed , drivers installed , firewater downloaded and dont have a clue how to use adb lol
7th April 2014, 12:56 AM |#8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?
7th April 2014, 01:00 AM |#9  
oneandroidnut's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 523
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854

I usually don't do much to my phones until they are quite old/out of support. The only thing I really need is WiFi tether and that has been solved even without S-Off.

Thank you for the link, after reading that, I guess I did understand what S-Off in and of itself was, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to a bootloader unlock.

My most recent experiences are with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7, neither of which had security and only needed a simple adb command to unlock the bootloader.

Does S-OFF in general, and also for the M8 specifically, require you to do anything further? Can I do S-Off when I get the M8 and then just leave it totally stock after that?

Does running the S-Off exploit wipe your handset like unlocking the bootloader on my Nexuses (Nexi?) does?

no will not wipe and yes you can do s-off and leave totally stock
7th April 2014, 04:46 AM |#10  
hgoldner's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 680
 
More
Is it possible to flash a custom splash screen post S-OFF? Secondly, is it possible to flash a mod in hboot? If so, what's the filename expected (e. g. PH98IMG.ZIP for Rezound)?

Beamed from the holodeck of my Nexus 7 FHD.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes