Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,967 Members 46,821 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z2 Tablet Bootloader

Tip us?

Galcactus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Question [Q] Z2 Tablet Bootloader

Hi all,

I've been considering getting the Z2 Tablet, but (despite the current lack of major ROMs and development for it), the deal-breaker for me is having a tablet which can have the bootloader unlocked.

I wanted to ask if anyone has got/seen a Z2 Tablet which has the rooting status set to "no", or cannot unlock their bootloader? I only ask because I have the Xperia T which came SIM and Bootloader locked and I cannot install custom kernels on it and I want to be completely sure of the fact that there is no chance of this Tablet being permanently Bootloader locked.

Thanks!

Peace out,

-Galcactus.

debenham
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Firstly, the tablet has only just come out in some areas and it still is not available in most of the world - and we only just got root over the weekend. So roms/development for it is right at the beginning - give it time.
As far as unlocking goes - they 'should' all be unlockable - but if you are buying from a carrier in some countries they might lock it down. I can't see why any wifi-only ones would not be unlockable and in fact I haven't heard of any not being unlockable (although as I said it is only just released so there aren't a lot out there yet)
The Following User Says Thank You to debenham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]