Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Blacklisted, but unlocked, T-Mobile Galaxy S5 on AT&T

Tip us?

JoJo2211
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Default Blacklisted, but unlocked, T-Mobile Galaxy S5 on AT&T

I'm thinking of buying blacklisted TMo GS5 (because of the unlocked bootloader & also because it's cheaper to get a blacklisted phone becuase of the stigma), if I were to unlock it would I be able to use it on AT&T or it's MVNO's? Has anywhere sucessfully tried it? Thanks,

daxecutioner24
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Last time I checked at&t and Tmobile were sharing blacklisted list. Not 100% sure but I think that was the case a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

RockRatt
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,549
As mentioned above and expanded I think ALL of the big phone companies share the blacklist emei's. I know I saw somewhere that other countries were gonna be doing the same. To help cut down on stolen phones that are bought and then shipped to other countries for use.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1,497
Well I did have a blacklisted Note 3 that I was using on at&t. I had no idea it was blacklisted until I tried selling it on Swappa. But it did work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Iphone 6 Pre-ordered!!!

Current Device: Nokia Lumia 635

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

OnePlus One

JoJo2211
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
Well I did have a blacklisted Note 3 that I was using on at&t. I had no idea it was blacklisted until I tried selling it on Swappa. But it did work for me.

That is strange. If they were supposed to be sharing the database of blacklisted phones how were you able to use it?

Does anyone know for a fact that they are sharing the database? Anybody work at AT&T or T-mObile?

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo2211 View Post
That is strange. If they were supposed to be sharing the database of blacklisted phones how were you able to use it?

Does anyone know for a fact that they are sharing the database? Anybody work at AT&T or T-mObile?
I have no clue. I bought the note 3 from another XDA user. Used it for 3 weeks then put a listing on Swappa but it was declined cause the phone Imei was blacklisted. Phone worked perfectly fine for the few weeks I had it on AT&T.

Iphone 6 Pre-ordered!!!

Current Device: Nokia Lumia 635

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

OnePlus One

JUSMEJOSE
Old
Thanks Meter 188
I unlock phones etc daily ... and yeah if you have a blacklisted at&t phone you Can't! Use it, unless you go overseas ... But if you have a blacklisted tmobile phone you can unlock it and use with another carrier example (At&t, red locket, h2o) with no problem ....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
T-Mobile Galaxy Galaxy Note 3 - White 32GB
ROM: Stock
Rooted
Kernel: Trinity/Overclocked

-------------

Any questions about Hard Bricked/JTAG Repairs PM ME...

-------------

Previous Phones

Motorola i60/Motorola i860/Motorola i930/Motorola V300/Nokia N95 8GB/Nokia N96/HTC G1/Blackberry 9000/HTC Nexus One/Samsung Nexus S/Samsung Vibrant T959/Samsung T989/Samsung T889/Samsung M919
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUSMEJOSE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

benihoopla
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Tmo Samsung s5 blacklisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSMEJOSE View Post
I unlock phones etc daily ... and yeah if you have a blacklisted at&t phone you Can't! Use it, unless you go overseas ... But if you have a blacklisted tmobile phone you can unlock it and use with another carrier example (At&t, red locket, h2o) with no problem ....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hi, can I unlock it anywhere and still use it? How will I know if it works or not? Is there anyway for them to track the phone down once I use it? I would love to have you unlock it. Where are you located?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupirujp View Post
Blacklisted ? I clean imei's lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I heard you can't clean the IMEM on the Samsung Galaxy s5 yet bc the firmware. It's too new. If you can I hope you're located in Socal! LMK!

JUSMEJOSE
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by benihoopla View Post
Hi, can I unlock it anywhere and still use it? How will I know if it works or not? Is there anyway for them to track the phone down once I use it? I would love to have you unlock it. Where are you located?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

I heard you can't clean the IMEM on the Samsung Galaxy s5 yet bc the firmware. It's too new. If you can I hope you're located in Socal! LMK!
You can unlock any phone (Blacklisted or NOT!) But for example if you have a (AT&T device [Unlocked] you cant use it here *USA* only overseas) But if you a T-Mobile [Unlocked] you can use here *USA* only AT&T carrier compatible .....
T-Mobile Galaxy Galaxy Note 3 - White 32GB
ROM: Stock
Rooted
Kernel: Trinity/Overclocked

-------------

Any questions about Hard Bricked/JTAG Repairs PM ME...

-------------

Previous Phones

Motorola i60/Motorola i860/Motorola i930/Motorola V300/Nokia N95 8GB/Nokia N96/HTC G1/Blackberry 9000/HTC Nexus One/Samsung Nexus S/Samsung Vibrant T959/Samsung T989/Samsung T889/Samsung M919
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUSMEJOSE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

benihoopla
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSMEJOSE View Post
You can unlock any phone (Blacklisted or NOT!) But for example if you have a (AT&T device [Unlocked] you cant use it here *USA* only overseas) But if you a T-Mobile [Unlocked] you can use here *USA* only AT&T carrier compatible .....
So if I get it unlocked being an TMobile phone I can use it on AT&T (even though it's blacklisted)? Do I have to go to any special person to do this? Or just a normal unlock will work? I heard that they can't even do the unlock. (The ppl I've called for a quote)