Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,572 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Signal - S3 vs S5

Tip us?

ddog511
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Question [Q] Signal - S3 vs S5

I know that there is this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713214 but they don't seem to answer the question based on an S3, so I'm curious for those of you that swtiched from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal everywhere you use it?

the reason for my question is this: I'm looking to upgrade from the S3, but I want a phone that I'm going to get a better signal with. I like Samsung, but am up to considering other android phones if one is specifically better with signal than the S5.

So, again, coming from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal for calls/text/data?

Thanks

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog511 View Post
I know that there is this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713214 but they don't seem to answer the question based on an S3, so I'm curious for those of you that swtiched from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal everywhere you use it?

the reason for my question is this: I'm looking to upgrade from the S3, but I want a phone that I'm going to get a better signal with. I like Samsung, but am up to considering other android phones if one is specifically better with signal than the S5.

So, again, coming from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal for calls/text/data?

Thanks
No 32GB option, so I stuck with my S4. Hopefully the S5 prime has a 32GB version.

ddog511
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
I had also been considering the HTC One M8, but from what I've been reading, the radios in that device are worse than the samsung ones. I wonder if this is beginning to be a trend... Of course, there's also the draw of S-Off and root on that device. Ultimately, it comes down to this - my S3 had absolutely no signal where 3 of my buddies' iPhones had signal as did my brother's Moto X. It was very frustrating, so I want to make sure that my next phone has better signal.

trehouse
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:

Thanks
I just got my S5 and I'm dropping calls where I never did with my S3. VZW thinks it could be a device issue and are waiting for my word to ship me a new replacement. I'll keep testing today and update this thread and also if I end up replacing it after receiving a new one.

ddog511
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trehouse View Post
I just got my S5 and I'm dropping calls where I never did with my S3. VZW thinks it could be a device issue and are waiting for my word to ship me a new replacement. I'll keep testing today and update this thread and also if I end up replacing it after receiving a new one.
Thanks for the info. Definitely give an update if you can.

TCM55
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I noticed no difference in signal strength between my S3 and S5, both are great. Although the S5 does get access to the much faster AWS LTE.
Galaxy S5, Nexus 7 2013 (Stock), Thunderbolt - Shifts3ns3 2.1.1, Transformer Prime - Stock Rooted, Rezound - Vigor360. Loaned out to family: Samsung Galaxy S IV - BoneStock V1.1.4, OG Droid - CM7, Samsung Galaxy S III - CleanRom

jal3223
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I've noticed a great improvement in regards to signal on the gs5. It even seems to be a tad better than my Note 3 as far as keeping lte. I'm in a rural area too by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to jal3223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Icculus760
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
So, again, coming from the S3 to the S5, did you notice any better signal for calls/text/data?Thanks
Can't speak to the S3 --> S5 changes, but I went from an S4 --> S5 and noticed HUGE signal improvements, including WiFi
THANKS TO ALL THE DEV'S FOR KEEPING MY DEVICES FRESH AND TO ANYONE WHO'SE GIVEN ANYONE HELP

SGS5 - VZW - Geohot rooted + Safestrapp'ed
SGS4 - TWRP on MDK
Bionic - Safestrapped
OGDroid - unlocked

evilhunter101
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I went to the S5 from a Note 2. The S5 seems to have slightly better signal and seems to hold onto lower signal longer before switching to CDMA. That's the best part; the S5 switches between radios much quicker than the Note 2 did. When I lost LTE on the Note 2, it would take over a minute usually to switch to CDMA and even longer when it felt like switching back to LTE. When the S5 switches, it's usually functional within two or so seconds. Love it.
Phones:
Blackberry>Fascinate>DROID Charge>Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy Note 2>Galaxy S5
Tablets:
TF101>N7 2012>N7 2013(1)>N7 2013(2)>N7 2013(3)>G Pad 8.3

sz1980
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default s3 to s5

Quote:

Thanks
I went from an S3 to an S5 and have noticed the signal is much better on the S5, but that is not always the case. I had the S3 since it came out and never had issues with 4G at work or other places when the signal was good. The S5 seems to have issues connecting with 4G at the same places I have used the S3 where I never had issues before (e.g. work and other frequented places). So far it only seems to affect text and data. When I do have issues, I am able to receive text messages, but not send text messages. Also, data does not work at all. I have to change the network on my S5 to CDMA to get it work. When I arrive to work, I have to change it to CDMA and when I leave work I change back to 4G. Using the automatic network mode setting does not help either since it stays on the 4G setting. I have had the same issues at other places, but I don't visit those places daily. I called Sprint and they couldn't anything for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to sz1980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]