Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Possible Complete Unlock? Idea proposal

Tip us?

A/\/droid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Info 2 [Q] Possible Complete Unlock? Idea proposal

So, I've the Verizon 4g LTE edition of the galaxy s3 for a while now and a few months ago I really needed to unlock this phone for use on gsm networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile. At first I was okay with having Voice, Text, and Edge for data.
Later on, I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and got an iPhone. Now I want to go back to my SCH-i535. There is only one issue: I broke the sim/sd card reader. Now this lead me to think about a possible way to allow for this phone to be able to be used on gsm networks:

Use the other carriers sim/sd reader.

So instead of replacing it with the standard i535 reader, I'll install T-Mobiles SGH T99 reader.

I want to bring this up to see if anyone already knows the outcome or if they can instantly prove my theory wrong before I buy these things.

All answers are appreciated. Thanks

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/\/droid View Post
So, I've the Verizon 4g LTE edition of the galaxy s3 for a while now and a few months ago I really needed to unlock this phone for use on gsm networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile. At first I was okay with having Voice, Text, and Edge for data.
Later on, I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and got an iPhone. Now I want to go back to my SCH-i535. There is only one issue: I broke the sim/sd card reader. Now this lead me to think about a possible way to allow for this phone to be able to be used on gsm networks:

Use the other carriers sim/sd reader.

So instead of replacing it with the standard i535 reader, I'll install T-Mobiles SGH T99 reader.

I want to bring this up to see if anyone already knows the outcome or if they can instantly prove my theory wrong before I buy these things.

All answers are appreciated. Thanks
I really don't think it would matter, as long as it's any sgs3 reader you'd have the same result.

It's just a part, and it should be universal. It wouldn't be able to change the band frequencies or anything. All that is regulated in the radio chip on the main circuit board. You'd have to swap out everything.

You should have a phone still capable of edge data only on a gsm network.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

web_ninja
Old
Thanks Meter 48
What BadUsername said is true, the parts are somewhat interchangeable. I work in a phone repair business and the sim trays are the same as with the charge ports. I do believe it is firmware side and possibly chipset.When i get back to work Monday i will look at the parts closer.