Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why no 4.4.2 yet?

Tip us?

Gino76ph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Why no 4.4.2 yet?

Hiya.

Recently bought a genuine UK SIM-free/unlocked HTC One (M7) online. Noticed that the Android OS is still stuck to 4.3.

I thought Android 4.4.2 is now available to UK customers for unlocked handsets? And what are the improvements to the phone?

Please advice. Thanks.

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Use this app to check your CID: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soft.cidgetter

What CID does it say? For UK unbranded, unlocked handsets it's HTC__001. I got the update just fine.
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.2, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active
The Following User Says Thank You to KiraYahiroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gino76ph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYahiroz View Post
Use this app to check your CID: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soft.cidgetter

What CID does it say? For UK unbranded, unlocked handsets it's HTC__001. I got the update just fine.
My CID is : VODAP001. That seems to suggest it is originally a Vodaphone-locked device but it has been unlocked since.

My i know what's my next move?

HTC_One_M8_91
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino76ph View Post
My CID is : VODAP001. That seems to suggest it is originally a Vodaphone-locked device but it has been unlocked since.

Same here, I'm from Croatia and have T-Mobile De version, but still can't update.

I've contacted HTC and they removed 4.4.2. update in some places. They'll roll it out again later, probably with Sense 6. We'll have to be patient until then

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

But still, call HTC support for UK and let them check your phone (by IMEI) and tell you if you have the "good" version
The Following User Says Thank You to HTC_One_M8_91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino76ph View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje334 View Post
Same here, I'm from Croatia and have T-Mobile De version, but still can't update.

I've contacted HTC and they removed 4.4.2. update in some places. They'll roll it out again later, probably with Sense 6. We'll have to be patient until then

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

But still, call HTC support for UK and let them check your phone (by IMEI) and tell you if you have the "good" version
Reason why both of you don't have the update yet is because your CID and software is locked to the previous carrier, meaning it's up to them to release the update, not HTC.

This will wipe your phone, but it will unbrand your phone if you follow it correctly: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2358738

This basically flashes the unbranded version of the ROM and changing the CID to one that HTC does support, so you'll get updates directly from HTC instead of the carrier.
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.2, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active
The Following User Says Thank You to KiraYahiroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gino76ph
Old
(Last edited by Gino76ph; 14th May 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry but right now i'm not prepared to unbrand the phone as it seems to me its too much of a long & winding process. Seeing the link seems too technical for me.

What i have done instead is ring HTC. Gave them the serial number of the phone and they told me that it IS Vodafone-branded phone. They adviced me to contact Vodafone which i did. The Vodafone support person doesn't seem to have a clue to what i'm saying and seems not familiar to how updates are released. He kept on insisting (based on the circumstances i have presented to him|) that Vodafone has nothing to do with updates. Person sounded stupid really.

I tried a Three and an EE SIM card on the One M7 and it works. So far no updates yet.

I can also confirm that being an unlocked phone it has NO Vodafone branding or logo or apps or bloatware on the phone itself.

So, i'm stuck with a year old phone with a old-gen Android OS.

So...what's next please?