Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,562 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Preparing to flash an ND8 (kitkat) rom

Tip us?

CNexus
Old
(Last edited by CNexus; 14th May 2014 at 02:51 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 13543

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW-TO] Preparing to flash an ND8 (kitkat) rom

Given that the first ND8 rom is out there now, I'd thought it would be a good idea to write up the steps you need to take BEFORE you can proceed to flashing your first ND8 rom.

Quote:
Steps to take/verify before flashing an ND8 rom
  1. Check your bootloader version. If you are not on the ND8 bootloader, any ND8 rom you flash will brick your device.

You can check your bootloader version by running the following command in a terminal emulator app/shell on your device. Adb shell will work as well if you know how to get that going.

Code:
    getprop ro.bootloader
    If the version string it returns ends with "ND8" (no quotes of course), you are golden and you can skip to STEP 5. Otherwise continue to step 2.
  2. Oh no. You ARE NOT on the ND8 firmware so you need to flash it before you can safely flash your first ND8 rom. Head over to THIS thread and flash the stock tar using ODIN (or a similar program) ON YOUR PC. Mobile ODIN will not just fail to flash it properly, but may leave you with an inoperable device aka brick. Don't try to take shortcuts. Following the instructions in the stock tar thread for how to flash the tar. NOTE: The restore tar MAY or MAY NOT wipe your internal storage so back up your information as necessary.

After flashing the stock tar, head back here and move on to step 3
  3. Download a custom recovery tar (I highly recommend Philz touch, works for flashing kitkat roms well with the greatest consistency. Grab the latest tar HERE)
  4. Flash the recovery tar with ODIN (or a similar computer program such as jodin, heimdall, etc) the same way you flashed the stock tar.
  5. Now you can flash your rom. Yes, it is slightly tedious the first time, but once you are on the ND8 firmware you needn't repeat these steps the next time you want to flash an ND8 rom

Devs and others, I encourage you to refer all ND8 flashing questions here to keep things centralized and have one set of info from one person versus multiple from multiple people.

Have fun flashing!
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

McBadass
Old
(Last edited by McBadass; 14th May 2014 at 01:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
It definitely did wipe my internal data, so be sure to backup to your SD card or off-device. I fortunately had most of it backed up, but I think I lost some pictures.

troyernet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there any way to upgrade to rooted stock ND8 without losing data? I'm rooted stock MK3 and I don't think I've ever installed the Knox boot loader. My boot loader came back as MD4.

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyernet View Post
Is there any way to upgrade to rooted stock ND8 without losing data? I'm rooted stock MK3 and I don't think I've ever installed the Knox boot loader. My boot loader came back as MD4.
The only chance for you is if you're rooted Odexed. You'd have to unroot, flash the stock Knox MK3 bootloader, kernel and recovery, and then accept the OTA.

There is NO way to run TouchWiz 4.4.2 without the Knox ND8 bootloader.

And if you don't know one way or the other, I'd say there's more of a chance you're DeOdexed than Odexed, which won't work at all for the OTA.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

s9amme
Old
Thanks Meter 144
I've been itching to move to ND8. I'm currently on MD4, with no knox. With all this talk of knox, is it really that bad to have?

I'm on Ting, so I buy my phones outright and don't have phone insurance. I have my old SGS2 as my insurance. Its my understanding that the main issue with knox is if you downgrade your bootloader, it'll hard brick your device. Otherwise, you can still flash ROMs and what not through custom recovery just like before, regardless if its MD4 based or AOSP. I don't think i'll ever need to send my phone to Sprint/Samsung for warranty/repairs/ect. or downgrade bootloaders (never felt the need to). If I sell my phone, I'll just odin the stock ND8 and be done with it. Are there any other downsides to having a bootloader with knox?
Samsung Galaxy S3 | SPH-L710 (Ting!)
Stock ND8 (rooted + debloated)

Nexus 7 (2013) | FLO
SlimKat 5.6
The Following User Says Thank You to s9amme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Super Dave426
Old
(Last edited by Super Dave426; 14th May 2014 at 09:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 102
So just to be clear if I follow those 2 steps above I then can flash any ND8 ROM, I got that, but will the phone still be rooted? Why do I ask? Well if you keep reading the ND8 Full Restore thread bilgerryan posted to flash CF Auto Root, then recovery, so I am just a little confused. Here.

Unfortunately the OP in the ND8 thread never updated the initial post to include all of the requests that followed, like listing the MD5 and attaching the root instructions that were posted. I am pretty sure I got the answer to my questions by reading the thread again, but I can see how things get confusing fast. So keeping root is a 3 step flash.
Dave
Galaxy S3 running SlimKat d2lte 4.4.2.build 4.9 Weekly

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
(Last edited by roirraW "edor" ehT; 16th May 2014 at 02:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by s9amme View Post
I've been itching to move to ND8. I'm currently on MD4, with no knox. With all this talk of knox, is it really that bad to have?

Are there any other downsides to having a bootloader with knox?

No, and no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave426 View Post
So just to be clear if I follow those 2 steps above I then can flash any ND8 ROM, I got that, but will the phone still be rooted?
Give me a sec and I'll post some links for you. I'll edit this post with them.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743971

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2750674

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2741413

Follow the instructions in ANY of those thread's first posts AFTER ODINing ND8 and you'll be rooted.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

troyernet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am rooted Odex and have been looking everywhere for the stock Knox MK3 boot loader, kernel and recovery. Any pointers on where to find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT View Post
The only chance for you is if you're rooted Odexed. You'd have to unroot, flash the stock Knox MK3 bootloader, kernel and recovery, and then accept the OTA.

There is NO way to run TouchWiz 4.4.2 without the Knox ND8 bootloader.

And if you don't know one way or the other, I'd say there's more of a chance you're DeOdexed than Odexed, which won't work at all for the OTA.

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
(Last edited by roirraW "edor" ehT; 27th May 2014 at 04:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyernet View Post
I am rooted Odex and have been looking everywhere for the stock Knox MK3 boot loader, kernel and recovery. Any pointers on where to find it?
Scratch my original response, I didn't realize I was talking to you two pages ago.

Edit: You can try here http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.ph...28SPH-L710%29/

At least some of the files might be available there.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

troyernet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Great link, thanks. My thought is that I could install the stock, full OTA MK3 on top of my current configuration: Rooted Odex MK3 with MD4 bootloader. After that I could do the OTA ND8 and I should be able to root from there. Has anyone else tried this? I can be the guinea pig, but I'd love to know how it went for anyone else before I step in too deep.