Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 38,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony Z1s T-Mobile Bootloader Unlock Petition

Tip us?

vinhjkd
Old
(Last edited by vinhjkd; 20th June 2014 at 05:14 PM.) Reason: Signature count update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Sony Z1s T-Mobile Bootloader Unlock Petition

If you bought the Sony Z1s on T-Mobile you were probably disappointed to learn that it has a locked bootloader and is therefore currently unrootable. Unfortunately, T-Mobile requested Sony to lock the bootloader. The non T-Mobile exclusive version, the Sony Z1, has an official method of unlocking the bootloader courtesy of Sony.

T-Mobile has stated that locked bootloader is necessary because rooting the phone voids the warranty and users may install software that can harm the device.

Every user that roots accepts the their warranty may be voided and that the device may be harmed.
The vast majority of T-Mobile devices do not have a locked bootloader and can be rooted.

This is a surprising and very disappointing move by the so called "uncarrier".

Please sign this petition which will be sent to the Executive Response team at T-Mobile.
http://chn.ge/1k6HIYx

Root achieved!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2644946

77 people have now signed! Keep spreading the word!
The Following User Says Thank You to vinhjkd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LaosPerson
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I knew it this day will come, I just hope this petition will work, because most of them are useless sadly
Current device: Xperia Z1S C6916

Retired:Galaxy S3 I747, Galaxy Note I717

funky0308
Old
(Last edited by funky0308; 16th May 2014 at 01:08 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 5064

DONATE TO ME
I'll support petition, don't have Z1s but Z1.... but who cares...

It's a longshot but there's not much to lose...

Edit:
Signed
Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

themacman1000
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Signed it. Also had my family sign it. There's 3 signatures.
Sony Xperia Z1s

quailallstar
Old
Thanks Meter 93

DONATE TO ME
Signed even though I don't have the T-Mobile version. Hope this works.

LG Optimus L70 Black

BlackBerry Z30 LTE STA100-5

Let's connect on LinkedIn | Twitter: @LuvGermanCars

El Presidente81
Old
Thanks Meter 16
My understanding is that It's not just T-Mo, or the Z1/Z1s. Every carrier locked version of any Xperia device is the same, "bootloader unlock allowed" is always No.

I'm locked to EE in the UK and my bootloader can't be unlocked (generally EE don't care about that sort of thing), my mum who as an O2 branded version is the same.

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente81 View Post
My understanding is that It's not just T-Mo, or the Z1/Z1s. Every carrier locked version of any Xperia device is the same, "bootloader unlock allowed" is always No.

I'm locked to EE in the UK and my bootloader can't be unlocked (generally EE don't care about that sort of thing), my mum who as an O2 branded version is the same.
WRONG

I am on Vodafone (UK) contract and every single phone I have had from them comes with the ability to unlock the bootloader

3x Xperia T and 1x Xperia Z1

Plus X10 and neo and arc... but that was before the days of official support for unlocking

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

El Presidente81
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
WRONG

I am on Vodafone (UK) contract and every single phone I have had from them comes with the ability to unlock the bootloader

3x Xperia T and 1x Xperia Z1

Plus X10 and neo and arc... but that was before the days of official support for unlocking
Are you SIM free or carrier locked?

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3846
It doesn't matter

It has been mentioned (Incorrectly) many times about the link between sim free / contract phones

The correct version is this

In general SIM free non contract phones come with an unlockable bootloadler, but not all of them. Some have bootlaoders which cannot be unlocked.

In general carrier SIM locked phones have bootloaders which cannot be unlocked, but some do not. (Mine as an example)

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.