Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,012 Members 54,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is there no way to make CC work through a proxy server?

Tip us?

Talmar Grosskotz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is there no way to make CC work through a proxy server?

Hi folks,

Our school features HD-beamers in every classroom, so chromecasts would be ideal for the teachers to present their stuff on a large screen.

That said our school is connected to the internet via a proxy-server, which offers content-protection.
I cannot touch the proxy-servers configuration so i would really need a way to make chromecast work through a proxy.
I managed to use my android-phone with the proxy via sandroproxy.

I am not a programmer and do not know about the problems in detail but from a general perspective it shouldn't be too difficult for the chromecast to direct all internet-connections through a certain server and port is it?

Would be glad if someone came up with a solution.

Jörg Bilert

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmar Grosskotz View Post
Our school features HD-beamers in every classroom, so chromecasts would be ideal for the teachers to present their stuff on a large screen.

That said our school is connected to the internet via a proxy-server, which offers content-protection.
I cannot touch the proxy-servers configuration so i would really need a way to make chromecast work through a proxy.
I managed to use my android-phone with the proxy via sandroproxy.

I am not a programmer and do not know about the problems in detail but from a general perspective it shouldn't be too difficult for the chromecast to direct all internet-connections through a certain server and port is it?
Chromecast is difficult because there is very little you can configure, and unlike your phone you can't sideload - or load apps in general.
Instead of doing it on a per-device basis, it might be easier to see if the WiFi access point or router can be made to go through the proxy, similar to how some routers can be made to connect to a VPN, etc.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 245
I would think that all the setup needed would already be done for you on the AP side of things.
(if done correctly) You shouldn't need to configure anything it should all be setup to use the proxy on any connection.
Most proxies are set to only deny certain sites not all except...

Do you have to enter proxy information in your browser manually to get onto the net? If so or if IT comes in to setup your computer before you can browse with it the first time, then it's probably not set up automatically.

If you explain to your IT Dept what it is your trying to do I am willing to bet they can make an exception for the MAC Addy of the CCast.